Hyunjee is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Building double data entry database

I am needing to create a double entry database.

Data will be entered in an access form initially and then the same data will be re-entered again in access using a separate form.

I am needing to have a pop up message appears that alerts the second data entry individual that the current field entered did not match the initial record entry. I also was wanting to highlight the records and fields that did not match the initial data entered.

My first thought is to use the macro tools......but I am not sure if this is the right direction. I am new to using Access in the manner and appreciate any help or advice which can be given. Thanks!

HyunJee

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    well if you are able to have the existing data in the same form as the new data entry - perhaps via a subform approach, or possibly via a query join - - then one needs only to compare field-by-field in the AfterUpdate event of the new data entry fields.

hope this helps.

It does. Is there a good reference you could suggest on the "afterupdate" function in access? I am not sure how to properly use it.

I built a query matching each individual field in table 1 to the equivalent field in table 2. I would like to create new variables based on the query results that has a 0 if say gender in table 1 does not match table 2 and a 1 if they do match. Is this possible to do?

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    based on your original post - I would not think that the compare would occur at the table level via query. It would seem to me that it is much more easy to do the compare at the field level in the form.

everyone designing a database should have a textbook, easily found at amazon or any large book store. and this will cover all the basic events and vba. But in general I think your task is something like putting this code in the AfterUpdate event of a field:

if me.NewDateField<> me.OldDataField then 'not equal
    msgbox "Your data entry does not match the required value"
    end if

Regards.

the only issue I see with the message box, is that who ever is entering the data in the second series may actually be entering the correct data and the initial data entry may be wrong.

Is there a way to have two connected forms side by side and be able to manually correct data on either of the forms?

Also, I am not sure where to actually write out the code you mention above. I am thinking you are referring to the property sheet, selecting the all tab and putting the above code in the afterupdate field. Would I place this code in the code builder?

I appreciate all your help with this.

I am used to writing all my own code in SAS for data comparison but am trying to build more of a GUI for other individuals to use. Thanks for all your help!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.