mwhitedesigns is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Database to view information only

Good afternoon,
    First post to this forum so hello!

I am brand new to Access. I know a fair amount about excel. However I think Access may provide a better platform for what I am looking to do. With that being said i have some questions.

I am looking to create a database. However this database will very seldomly have new information added. Information may be updated here or there. Most of what i have researched uses access to create a database that will constantly have new info added.

What i am looking to do is to create a database that will have drop downs that merely link to other "databases" to view.

Example: I have have a database in excel that has one main interface. when you click on a cell it takes you to a new worksheet with multiple entries that fall under that group. and repeats itself. each cell on this page will is linked to another worksheet.

Lets say these groups are named; 1,2,3,4. Any time you click on on of these, it takes you to a new worksheet that has info for each group. Once on the new worksheet, it will give you the drop downs for these values and if one is selected it will take you to the new worksheet (show the new info) once again.

I have no clue where to begin or how to start building this. Any direction would be great.

RayMilhon is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Hi and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are trying to recreate your spreadsheets in Access. You need to rethink that. MS Access is a relational Database not a spreadsheet. Lookup Database Normalization and understand it before you proceed. Look at the Data in your spreadsheets and consider the Normalization Rules then redesign your data structure if you decide to move forward with Access. Access is a powerfull tool if used correctly and a pain in the ass if not.

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    As RayMilhon has stated, there are distinct differences as to how Access and Excel operate. Here is a good explanation on data base design and normalization.

http://www.deeptraining.com/litwin/d...aseDesign.aspx

mwhitedesigns is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I appreciate your information guys. Much appreciated. I will dive a little deeper into it and if I have any questinos I'll be sure to come back and let you know! Thanks again and have a great morning!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.