btidwell3 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Access 2010 Runtime

To all,

I have a large, Access 2003 application running in Terminal Services for about 15 users. I want to convert the app to Access 2010 runtime. I am looking for information about licensing for this environment.

BT

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Look here and scroll down about a page for information on Runtime.

http://hitechcoach.com/

Thanks for the link.

I am trying to get an idea of how well an Access application will work in on the runtime platform. In your opinion, can I expect to make the transition with only a minimal amount of complication?

BT

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    I have done it on one occasion for a user and it worked without issue.

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by btidwell3 View Post
    Thanks for the link.

I am trying to get an idea of how well an Access application will work in on the runtime platform. In your opinion, can I expect to make the transition with only a minimal amount of complication?

BT
    It really depends on what you have going on in your database. The key is to TEST, TEST, TEST before you upgrade the client. So you should have a PC where you can install 2010 and work on a copy of the database. Then have another PC where you can have the runtime installed and then check to see that all works fine BEFORE going on to upgrade. Then make sure you have time enough to deal with any issues before the actual switch.

One thing may be important is if you have any custom menus/toolbars you will likely want to recreate those as Ribbons instead, otherwise the current ones will show up on the ADD-INS group on the main Ribbon but if you use the Runtime you will have to provide a custom Ribbon anyway, if you want any of it.

The other thing that can cause a problem (and this is from my experience testing for 2003 to 2007 for our company, which we haven't done the upgrade yet still and I'm hoping for a direct switch to 2010 instead) is that if you have any events that call a SUB from within the event PROPERTY and not in the VBA Window, you will need to change those to a FUNCTION instead.

Hey, Bob -

Thanks for your insight. My Access application is totally VBA (as opposed to macros, etc.). I will check out the conversion of popup menus to ribbon components. That will make for a better app, I think.

One good thing about this project is that I have time - there is not a fixed deadline -- yet.

We will also be upgrading the backend from SQL 2000 to SQL 2008 R2. One thing I have disovered is that ADO function calls to the DB must use a client-side cursor instead of a server-side cursor.

I am looking forward to this change. There is a lot about Access 2010 that I like.

I just can't believe that there is not more licensing expense associated with deploying a runtime app.

Thanks again,

BT

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.