DB2010MN26 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Query % of total within a table

I've creating a table which lists out a portfolio of stocks. The columns are Company Holding (stock name), Market Value and Total portfolio value (which is a sum of all market value, this is the same for every row). What I'm trying to do is create a query that divides market value by total portfolio value, and then displays it as a %. So I created an update query which will add this as a new field in the table. My issue is, I can't seem to get this to show up in percentages , I try to do an update query with the formula [Market Value] / [Total Portfolio Value] and all I get are 0.00%. Both the Market Value and Total Portfolio Value fields are formatted the same as Currency with decimal places on Auto.

hertfordkc is offline 18 year novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Some observations:

Quote Originally Posted by DB2010MN26 View Post
    I've creating a table which lists out a portfolio of stocks. The columns are Company Holding (stock name), Market Value and Total portfolio value (which is a sum of all market value, this is the same for every row). What I'm trying to do is create a query that divides market value by total portfolio value, and then displays it as a %. So I created an update query which will add this as a new field in the table. My issue is, I can't seem to get this to show up in percentages , I try to do an update query with the formula [Market Value] / [Total Portfolio Value] and all I get are 0.00%. Both the Market Value and Total Portfolio Value fields are formatted the same as Currency with decimal places on Auto.
    A percentage is usually a fraction multiplied by 100. Your post suggests you didn't do that.
    Normally, values that are the results of calculations on fields in table should not be stored in tables, i.e. rely on queries or reports to recreate the calculation.
    In doing the calculations, are you using integer values?

DB2010MN26 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Figured it out, it was the number type setting in the table design view. Field size has to be Double instead of long interger.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.