Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    maxx3 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi Friend Following your example I cam up with these tables would you mind giving it a look it worked fine and it's real data that I have input. In yout example I didn't understand why you have created a table named locations and then you didn't included it in the realationships .I wish I could add more tables like Notarys that worked as notary to gov and their publised deeds in their volumes same as I did with private notarys but I couldn't figure it out how. From your example I removed the notary startDate and endDate because I didnn't need that please may I ask is there any limit how much data i can enter because there hundreds of notarys and thousands of volumes . Last thing is there a how how to secure the data?.Thanks again for your patience

CraigDolphin is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Hi,

yes, I should have put the Locations table in the relationships in that example and linked up the key fields. I was in a hurry it seems

As for the notary start date, that was information you had put into one of the fields in your original database as a comment which was why I was showing you that it should have been stored in a table about the notary, not about the volumes.

I cannot say how many records you will be able to store, but some access databases have tables with 1,000,000 records or more. The thing to remember is that the total file size cannot exceed about 1.5 - 2 GB. I think you'll run out of notaries long before you run out of space.

I'm afraid I cannot offer you any advice on securing the database.

Windows XP Access 2003
    hi thanks for your reply but you did't mention anythink about the database I have posted how did you find it is it ok?

Windows XP Access 2000
    Max,

it is much better than the original but it definitely could stand some improvement still.

However, I'm just too busy right now to spend much time on helping you develop it further given that I have already explained several principles in post#20 that you have not observed in your subsequent versions (spaces in field and table names for example), and you have repeating information in the field 'Wills' for another which I suspect means that you have a data model failure there that may come back to haunt you someday if the infor mation you're storing in that field is important.

On a personal preference level, I strongly dislike using anything except an autonumber field for a primary key. If you ever have a form/subform lfor data entry, linked by your numerical field, you will need to ensure that the index number is entered in the main form before allowing the user to enter anything into the subform. And if ever your numbering system breaks down for any reason, you will have a serious problem that could have been avoided had you used a autonumber field instead, and simply included the current index number field as an additional piece of information in the notary table.

But it is much improved over your original example. You are at least using appropriate data types, and you are no longer combining more than one piece of information in a single field.

Good luck with the remainder of your project.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks_for_every_thing_and_wish_you_the_best_you_h ave_been_extremly_helpfull_I'll_try_to_follow_your _instructions.

Regards Raymond
    Last edited by maxx3; 05-28-2009 at 10:05 AM.

Windows XP Access 2000
    LOL

Exactly

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.