Jerry8989 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Question Bound form with bound combobox

I have a form that is bound to a query. The query is made up of 5 tables. 1 main and 4 look up tables. Within the form I have a combobox for each of the look up fields. When I change the drop down and close it does not hold the value? For example say I have a state table which is stateID and state. Within my form I want to show state but in my main table I want the stateID saved. What is the best way to achieve this?

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Microsoft offers that the field itself - can be a look up - as its property in the table. While there is some resistance by professional db designers, of which I am one. It is a very useful feature for novices and many applications.

In your textbook, take a look at table lookup fields - and consider this approach. You will no longer need lookup tables in your query.

Hope it helps.

Jerry8989 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    NTC,

Thanks for the reply.

Is there a better way to do that without tying it to the table? I don't like not seeing the actual id in the table and the tables in this access db will be re imported multiple times. I don't want to go through manually changing the main table each time.

Its been a while since I worked with access but I remember doing a query and using comboboxes populated with querys selecting the distinct from my lookup tables. When I would change the drop down the id would automatically change with my main table.

Again thanks for the help

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.