djclntn is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Totally disgusted!!!

I feel as if every time I make 1-step forward & I take 2-steps backwards! I have an Employees/Payroll Query & a DailyTask Query, both having a “MNTH” Fld, A “TDATE” Fld & A “HRS” Fld among other non-related flds. I want a query that shows me the MNTH, TDATE, DailyTasksHRS & the Employee HRS. I thought to have successfully accomplished this task, but now the query isn’t working.

First, I create 2-separate queries with just the MNTH, TDATE, & HRS; one from the DailyTask Query & one from the Employee/Payroll Query & joined the 2-queries according to TDATE

SELECT [MNTH\TDATE\SumOfHRS (DT)].MNTH, [MNTH\TDATE\SumOfHRS (DT)].TDATE, [MNTH\TDATE\SumOfHRS (DT)].SumOfHRS AS [DailyTasks HRS], [MNTH\TDATE\SumOfHRS (ET)].SumOfHRS AS [Employees HRS], ([DailyTasks HRS]-[Employees HRS]) AS DIF
    FROM [MNTH\TDATE\SumOfHRS (DT)] INNER JOIN [MNTH\TDATE\SumOfHRS (ET)] ON [MNTH\TDATE\SumOfHRS (DT)].TDATE = [MNTH\TDATE\SumOfHRS (ET)].TDATE
    ORDER BY [MNTH\TDATE\SumOfHRS (DT)].TDATE DESC;

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Do NOT use special characters in your field and object names.

This type of naming is not helping you efforts
    [MNTH\TDATE\SumOfHRS (DT)]

Look for alternatives and reasons.
    http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/tablefieldnaming.htm

Orange,

I took your wise advice & renamed some of my flds & Objects names excluding ALL special characters. Now I need to recreate many of my queries I once had. So, if the people here are willing to give me patience & bear with me I may be revisiting the same query questions over again. Thanks so much for sending me that link – very helpful!

Windows XP Access 2003
    Glad you found it of use.

Here's another link. Various chapters with all good stuff.

http://www.accessmvp.com/strive4peace/

Are you working on a production database? Do you have a development or practice database? When you get a query working, you could store it to a nonAccess text file to protect it from some "dangerous" editing. Just a thought, since you seem to be losing work that you have completed. You can always open the text fiel, copy the "good" query/code or whatever and carry on.

No, my databases are more or less for practice. Not to give you a sob story, but I'm very physically disabled & have been totally homebound now for over a year now. With having no use of my hands I wear a hat with a pointer & I poke away at the keys & have a Magic Touch Screen in which I can poke at in place of the mouse. Now comes the weird part, as most people like to play comp. games, chat online, or "Facebook" -- I have NO interest in any of that stuff. Although I may not know a lot with Access I find it so intriguing. Just as well, Access can also be very frustrating because I have ALL of these different ideas come to mind that I know Access can do, I just lack the knowledge on how to implement them using Access. I’m more of a visual learner; I can’t learn by reading a book. I’ve watched lots of videos on Access, but I feel like only know the tip of the iceberg. Sorry to be jabbing here.

The main reason why I lose queries is because I’ve made change in the Tbl structure. No, I don’t know how to save queries in nonAccess text files. Lots of times I’ll save bmy queries in Excel which then I save on MS SkyDrive for backup purpopes.

Windows XP Access 2003
    djcIntn,
    I'm not into facebook or games either. Spent years in government in data and database admin and development. I prefer to learn by videos or some hands on after being shown concepts. There are a number of videos on youtube, but there's a range of quality in both content and presentation.
    I haven't seen the Magic Touch screen. I had a coleague with limited vision and he used an attached magnifier - we made it available to him when he retired.
    He also used ReadPlease, which was a voice that read text. I'm sure there are others.

When I mentioned saving your "working queries" to a nonAccess file, I was just saying copy the SQL and save it as a text file in a "MustKeep" sort of directory/folder. I'm not sure what you use for a text editor, I use TextPad and NoteTab -fairly easy to use and free. You could have a MasterAccessDatabase as well, and keep all of your proven good stuff there. Copy things out to your practice database(s) as needed.

Keep at the Access it can become a hobby. make use of the forum, and others
    Access World Forum, UtterAccess are good and people are very willing to help.

orange

Hey Orange,

Since I've told you about my head pointer & MagicTouch Screen I have a question.

I have some CrossTabs queries & ofter I have to drag different fields in the order I want them showen. It's very tedious (I can't find the right spelling/tactfully) because as I'm trying to drag the fields I keep dragging different fields I accidently resizing them in the process. So, my ? is, in Access can you somehow "lock" the field size once they're set?

"tediously"

Windows XP Access 2003
    I have only used a few cross tabs and none in a long while. As for locking the size of a field, I'm not sure. Certainly with the mouse and drag there are lot's of opportunities to screw things up format-wise. Just get on to the edge of something like a text box, you think it's the hand pointer to move the box, but instead you grab a corner and before you know it the text box is 5X larger than it was.....

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.