MavisCruet is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Newb question (but possibly complex)

I am trying to create a database to log and group tasks.

Each will have a unique identifier and I have learned how to set up everything except:

For ease of storage in boxes I batch my work into 6s. The database will be a log of work processed and I may need to locate each file again, and so need to keep track of the physical batch numbers.

What I want is for the database to create a new batch number based on the next available, but then have 6 unique files added to it. The entry is via a fairly stnadard form.

e.g. I have 10 files come in under category B, I enter data for the first 6 and it would log them under batch B00001. The following 4 logged would be under batch B00002. the next day when I get more, it would start with B00002 and then on the third one I process go to B00003.

I was trying to figure out if I could make Access count in Base 5, but I couldn't fathom it. I am very new to the software, though I have used databases a long while back, they were incredibly simple. I am good at picking stuff up, I just need a helping hand!

All help greatly appreciated.

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi -

First assign, each of your incoming files a unique integer sequence number - I'll call it SEQ_NUM.

Then the batch number for each file is (SEQ_NUM-1)\6 + 1, so when SEQ_NUM is from 1 to 6, you get batch 1, SQQ_NUM 7 - 12 is batch 2, etc.

The backslash is the operator for integer division : 15\6 = 2

John

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by John_G View Post
    Hi -

First assign, each of your incoming files a unique integer sequence number - I'll call it SEQ_NUM.

Then the batch number for each file is (SEQ_NUM-1)\6 + 1, so when SEQ_NUM is from 1 to 6, you get batch 1, SQQ_NUM 7 - 12 is batch 2, etc.

John
    That makes sense, so I should think will work. I will have a stab tonight or tomorrow. I shall let you know, thanks for the help!

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by John_G View Post
    Hi -

John
    Thanks John, it worked. Top bloke!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.