djclntn is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Tradeoffs & a little venting

I have gotten the upmost outstanding assistance & support for so many here. I have learned a lot from others here which enriched my databases & saved me lots of time.. However, I find that when I change one thing it affects many other things in my database - I know, that's the nature of "databases."

Please, let me explain-

In my previous databases I would have a "Quaterly" Field, a "Month" Field, a "Day" Field, & a "Date" Field all in which I would manually imput repeated data. I learned (though it took me a little while) how to use the "Date" field from a Table & convert it several ways (formats) in queries, Great, now I no longer need to input the month or the day of the week because in my "query" the Date into "mmm" & "ddd."

Here's my problem or struggle, I'm NOT a programmer & I don't know ANYTHING about writing formulas/expressions in SQL. Previouls , when
    I had my quaterly, months & day fields in text I could very easily pull data from many place & create lots of queries based on quartly, monthly, etc & I found it to be SIMPLE! Now that I've changed my "Month" field to Date/Time I cannot pull data or run monthly queries like before which is very frustrating because I lost all of those queries. I'm sure there are ways to pull data from a thousand different ways, I just lack the knowledge (& sometimes the ability to catch on) -- BIG TIME! Yesterday someone here helped me with a SQL to get the monthly sums from one of my databases, which I understood & could follow but I have other databases in which I want summaries in different ways & I don't want to keep bugging you people

Sorry for going on a rant but I've learned that in life everything has, "TRADEOFFS?"

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Here are some more examples that may help.
    http://www.techonthenet.com/access/f...e/datepart.php

and Fiscal Year stuff that gets asked about from time to time.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/210249

Suggest you make a list of the queries (or types of queries) you need (may need) along with some test tables and data.
    The objective is to get whatever assistance you need to make a Sample database that uses these example queries.

Asking questions, trying some things and giving assistance (and the occasional vent)is what the forum is all about.
    Good luck

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Yes, that is a significant restructure of the data and I sympathize with your frustration. It will take time but practice makes perfect. Having to modify all your queries to fit the revised structure will be a good way to get that practice. Also, Access Help has some guidance on building expressions. Search on topics:
    Introduction to expressions
    Examples of expressions
    Create an expression
    Examples of query criteria
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.