wfeandsig is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Help with a DB please

Yes I am that guy, can't figure it out on my own, begging for help but I will send you a Tim Horton's gift card for 5 loonies for the answer I use!!

I have an excel spreadsheet that forms the basis of what I want to turn into a Database. I also want to add personal info to each girls name like health care number, phone, parent names etc. How would I best go about this?

The database is basically a training qualification database. Each Qual has a set of requirements that must be meant and then each of those has a set of requirements and so on.

Some of the areas on the spreadsheet like the "program areas" tab, cell Z3 are simply a check of if the girl has one of the interest badges in that area in the "interest Badge" section. If she has one then that field would be check and Z4 would be checked if she has any two. Also would like some funcitonality to show that if portions of "Promise and Law and Motto" are passed off them that section of "you IN Guiding" is complete. Attached is a JPG of the relationships window for my initial try at setting it up. Also wondering if the "complete" yes/no box in each section could be automated based on having 3 of 5 of the requirements in that section passed off. Or how do I set-up or agruements for that options. As in do they have Service Project in Community or National or International, either one satisfies requirement for completion of section.

Thanks-for any help you can be.

pdebaets is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    I'm sorry to say it, but I think you need to go back to square 1 with your table schema. It seems that you have each program as a different table, but that's not the way to do it. Here's an example (simplified) schema:

Table: People
    PK: PersonID
    FirstName
    LastName
    etc...

Table: Programs
    PK: ProgramID
    ProgramName (Adventures in Guiding, Being Healthy, etc...)

Table: PersonPrograms (a person's association to a particular program)
    PK: PersonProgramID
    FK: PersonID
    FK: ProgramID
    EnrollmentDate
    CompletedDate

Table: ProgramDetails
    PK: ProgramDetailID
    FK: ProgramID
    ProgramDetailDescription (Campfire leading, Canadian Guiding, etc...)
    Sequence

Table: PersonProgramDetails
    PK: PersonProgramDetailID
    FK: PersonProgramID
    FK: ProgramDetailID
    Completed (Y/N)
    CompletedDate
    Grade

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.