kp123 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Database Design Glitch

Hi, I wondered if someone might be able to advise me on a glitch I am experiencing as I am keen for my database to run smoothly!
    I have an Excel Spreadsheet with different data categories on different tabs. They are all related through a common Incident number.
    I am trying to translate this across to multiple tables in Access, linked through relationships, into one database with 19 tabs that colleagues can use to input their reporting.
    I now have 19 tables of topical data and they do seem to be related (Inc Numbers typed in Tab 1 will appear in other tabs). However, the other data 'fields' are locked and won't allow input. They state '#name?' instead, which cannot be overtyped. I have heard that this relates to a missing link back to the original tables.
    How do I overcome this? The tabbed database was designed by adding tabs and copying and pasting the fields from individual forms into one central tabbed form before the original was deleted. Should I simply have kept these and combined them in some way...?
    Thanks so much for any help you can offer - as you can see I'm fairly new to this - the training I did have being several years ago! VBL may be a toughie if that is the answer so 'Ladybird Book' English would be gratefully received!

dblife is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    If you put a control inside a tabbed form and expect it to behave in a linked way, it needs to be linked to another field in a parent/child fashion.
    The usual way to do this is to create an unbound text box just outside the tabbed form area which 'looks' for a primary key on the main control, usually tab #1.
    Name this new text box something you can recognise.
    This new text box is then used in the parent /child link for other tabs you wish to link to.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.