Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    If you have created all of the other forms you will need, then I guess it is time to tackle the form for entering test scores. So, the question is, how do you normally record scores? What process do you follow now? Is that the process you want to use in the database?

gdpoc is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Currently the course uses a series of excel documents. (each class has a folder and inside this folder is an excel document named 'Smart Grades'). Opening more than one at a time is not possible due to the naming convention, thus prompting me (Among other reasons) to do this.

The excel documents are set up in the following fashion.

Stu1 | Stu2 | Stu3 | Stu4 | Stu5 | Stu6 | Stu7 | Stu8 | etc..
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Test 1 | 100 | 98 | 76 | 58 | 100 | etc.. | | |
    Test 2 | | | | | | | | |
    Test 3 | | | | | | | | |
    Test 4 | | | | | | | | |
    Test 5 | | | | | | | | |
    Test 6 | | | | | | | | |
    Etc...

gdpoc is offline Novice
    It stripped out nulls, but I believe you understand the spreadsheet structure. This would be an ideal structure to use if possible. It's familiar to the instructors and it's very simple to use.

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    What you show is basically a cross-tab form (based on a cross-tab query). I have not used those much, so I will not be of much help there (a new, separate post might be in order).

Out of curiosity do you get the grades for all tests at one time in the spreadsheet format you mention? or do you get grades after each test for one class at a time?

Typically spreadsheets are not normalized so they do not mesh well with the table structure of a relational database, but there are ways to import the data into Access and then use an append query (or queries) to get the data into the table structure you have created.

gdpoc is offline Novice
    Normally the grades are entered one test at a time.
    I did some research into crosstab queries and I can see a possible solution if I do decide to go that route. I could use a crosstab query and have a button linked to a subform to edit a particular test for a particular class.
    I would have to do this as you can't edit values from a cross-tab query (according to the research I did.)

It seems like there should be an easy way to have a form populate a students name and then every test they could possible take. Would it be worth it to build a query to pull test names out, build a form off of that which is a continous form, and filter that by the class the students are in?

(Sorry if my grammar is slowly getting worse, I don't think I've slept in awhile.)

gdpoc is offline Novice
    Alternatively, using the crosstab, if I could have the crosstab query fill in the value field with an unbound control I could have the form dynamically update tables.

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    I would typically use a preliminary form with a series of cascading combo boxes to do the filtering, then open another form that takes me to where I need to be to enter the data based on what was chosen in the combo boxes.

gdpoc is offline Novice
    Thanks, a cross tab query worked for me. I built a main grade page with a subform to add/edit test scores that populates from a dropdown.

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    You're welcome. Glad to hear that you worked out a solution.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.