Born2Gamble is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

MS Access 2010 back-end hosting

Hi....this is a question regarding MS Access 2010.....I wanted to split my database into 2 parts...so the back end would be stored with a site like godaddy etc..and the front end (on my computer) would connect to the back-end....this is so that more than one user can access the data and so that my computer wouldnt have to be on 24/7 ( as it is right now)......

Is this possible?...ive tried e-mailing a few sites and some are saying yes, some are saying I need to hire a programmer to build a web application in asp.net that connects to the access database.

Thanks

pdebaets is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    The site needs to specifically host Access services. Check out accesshosting.com . You can create a web database with Access 2010 if you use macros instead of VBA - there are some other restrictions as well.

Ya ive tried accesshosting, but I do have vba coding and other elements that I wasnt able to do with the web database.

pdebaets is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Try uploading the back end to SQL Azure. More info: http://gainingaccess.net/SQLAzure/Ac...AzureInfo.aspx

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Access is not designed to have a WAN / internet between the Front & Back end files.

To avoid going web forms or rewriting in a web app - one can use the 'work local' feature of putting the BE onto sharepoint. The AccessHosting.com folks can help you with that. This was the original sharepoint role (before web forms / Access services) and still remains valid.

One has the FE on their local drive, connecting to the remote sharepoint - when you invoke the Work Local - the tables move to the local PC - so everything is fast. And then when you republish the tables move back to sharepoint.

The only issue with this is if 2 people change the same record in the same interval - that when you go to republish then there is a conflict and the user will be quizzed by the system as to whether to keep the changes or not. As it should. But users typically are not expecting this and it confuses them. But if you have a small set of users that don't work on the same records at the same time this can be very manageable.

the only other thing I know that works is dropbox.com and that only works if everyone has the same native account. it doesn't work in dropboxes normal file sharing.

hope it helps

Thanks everyone....looking into the SQL Azure..appreciate the info. It will be less than 5 users total. Going to test out the trial, it looks like its just what i need!
    My Goal is to use access 2010 front end as the gui.
    @NTC...I never thought of using dropbox. At the same time, the connection speed over here is very slow, and the database is about 300mb...would that cause issues in it taking a while for all users to have up to date data?

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Fundamentally I believe it is not correct that moving the back end files from sharepoint to azure will improve speed to a front end Access....as the fundamental issue remains of there being a WAN between front & back whichh is not a supported implementation.

As you do not want to port to true web forms, then the 'work local' feature of Access with sharepoint still remains a strong candidate. 300M is large, but split your database into FE & BE and typically the majority of the size is in the FE where the forms & reports are located - so that moving the BE data to work local will not be so painful...maybe... In the end, a slow connection is going to make any attempt to implement a wide area connection to be difficult.

Good Luck

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.