Bloom is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Creating a directory

Hello
    I have a database with information about clubs for older people and I am trying to create a list of lunch clubs, cost of meals, transport options and details of the organisers. I have set-up the query but the report options are driving me mad. I get a wizard that gives me a report too wide to be any use and I can't move the fields underneath each other to make everything fit.

Option two: export to pdf doesn't give me any control over how it looks and records alternate in layout and there's no option to stop records from being split across pages.

Option three: create a linked word document and add fields. It's years since I did this and I can't even find a merge option from Access to Word of from Word linking back to my database.

Option four: create a report from scratch but the two tables I need are nowhere to be seen in the list of tables and I can't access my query with all the fields I need.

I just want to get as many records as I can onto each page of A4.

Can anyone help me?

hertfordkc is offline 18 year novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Questions and suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Bloom View Post
    Hello
    I have a database with information about clubs for older people and I am trying to create a list of lunch clubs, cost of meals, transport options and details of the organisers. I have set-up the query but the report options are driving me mad. I get a wizard that gives me a report too wide to be any use and I can't move the fields underneath each other to make everything fit.

Can you set the printer options to print in Landscape view?

Option two: export to pdf doesn't give me any control over how it looks and records alternate in layout and there's no option to stop records from being split across pages.
    You shouldn't have to go there.
    Option three: create a linked word document and add fields. It's years since I did this and I can't even find a merge option from Access to Word of from Word linking back to my database.
    Nor here.

Option four: create a report from scratch but the two tables I need are nowhere to be seen in the list of tables and I can't access my query with all the fields I need.
    This strongly suggests that you haven't considered creating a query which makes
    simplifies the creation of the report. In other words, one query extracting the information you need from multiple tables can greatly simplify the creation of a report.
    There isn't enough information to definitively say whether or not grouping could help with your problem, but IMHO you should check it out.
    I just want to get as many records as I can onto each page of A4.

Can anyone help me?
    ================================================== ==============
    Creating a report from scratch shouldn't be a nightmare for you.
    If you are still struggling after reading this, please provide more info.

Bloom is offline Novice
    Thanks for the reply. I'm in landscape but there are too many fields. I have a query set-up that gives me everything I need. I have just found out how to do a mail marge into Word which would do the trick but I am still only getting one record per page.

I need to show; group, venue, address, days club runs, times, activities available, meal options, transport options, the organiser's details (title, 1stname, lastname, phone, mobile). It's all in the query but there's too much information to string out across columns. I have even created a form based on the query but I can't do anything with that. I want to fit three records per page of A4.

I also want to be able to export reports to a Joomla web site once I have a format I can work with.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Youar reply suggests that you envision a layout that will allow three records per page. Since the report automatically takes care of pagination, what is keeping you from basing a report on your query and manually laying it out, either as landscaper or portrait? You define the length of the headers, detail, and footers, and the report will determine how many records it can fit on a page. Be warned that if the report is lengthy, it may take several minutes before the report can be printed.

Bloom is offline Novice
    It's a long time since I designed any forms from scratch. I was hoping not to have to. The wizard seems limited in what it can offer and I can't seem to reposition fields afterwards. Thanks for the replies.

Bloom is offline Novice
    I can't create a report from scratch because the tables I need don't appear in the list of tables and it seems I can't use the query I created, or any other for that matter.

Windows XP Access 2007

Maybe this will help.

1) Go to Create, blank report
    2) If you don't see a property sheet, open it
    3) In the Recordsource Property of the report, go to the down arrow.
    4) Can you now see the query which has all of the fields which you need?

Bloom is offline Novice
    Ta. I have managed to find my query somehow by selecting it from "Properties" & "Data Source". I now have all the information on the report and I am laying it out to look "pretty".

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.