mike96 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Can't open database in design view.

Hi all. I am having an issue with access that I can’t seem to figure out. I have a couple of databases that everyone here in my shop use on a regular basis. The one that gets used the most is a test taker program that was built back using access 2002 by an individual that is no longer here. The problem I am having is that I cannot open the database so that i have the ability to make changes on how the print reports look, Like the database has been locked to an uneditable package/program. I had to go thru and update all the questions and answers which wasn’t to big of an issue because the original designer of the database built in the ability to do so when he built it, however... in doing so all the questions now have a question number assigned to it that is too long for print report and all that comes out are a bunch of pound signs (#####). I would really like to get into the database and make changes to it so that when the testers print a report they can go back and review those specific questions...

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    What is the file extension? An mde will not allow design changes; you would need the mdb it was created from.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

mike96 is offline Novice
    It is a split file there is the test taker and a back end file, both are .mdb

Windows XP Access 2007
    What happens when you try to edit the report? Do you have the full version of Access? Can you post the front end file here?
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

mike96 is offline Novice
    I am Air Force... So yes I have a full copy of access. Let me see what I can do about putting up the database I just need to clear out the database get rid of all my guys info and put in some phony employees and questions. You know super secret squirrel stuff and all that

Windows XP Access 2007
    Gotcha. Greetings from an Air Force dad. My daughter and her husband are both in the AF, currently stationed in England.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

mike96 is offline Novice
    Sorry I haven’t put you on disregard or anything. It is just taking a bit longer than it should have to delete all the questions. It is a three click process and there are over 600 questions in the database. No master delete...

mike96 is offline Novice
    Ok here it is, it took a little longer than I anticipated but I got it cleared out and a couple of BS questions/people in there. The interface is pretty self explanatory for taking a test getting into where you can make changes to the questions, people and reprint test information. For that you need to change the tester to ADMIN, type in the password (APG) in the password box and hit enter, then click in the middle of the F-22 Raptor AMU patch on the right hand side. That will open up the admin menu.

If the links don't work let me know.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0By1...MxODZiN2ZjZmZk
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0By1...RmMzllNTdlNzRh

Windows XP Access 2007
    Okay, so I got in. Normally you can hold down the shift key when opening a database to get around any startup processes. The designer of this disabled that, but it's not hard to re-enable. He has a macro called Unlock. See if running that, then closing the db, then opening it holding down the shift key gets you into where you want to be. If not, I have a utility that will unlock it from outside, so I can send you an unlocked version. Heck, I can point you to the utility if you want it.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

mike96 is offline Novice
    O.K. I tried the shift key trick and it worked... the first time, then it went right back to the way it was. LOL. I wouldn’t mind trying the unlock macro before the tool you have. How do I run that macro is there a hidden button somewhere that I am not finding?

Edit... Wait I think I figured it out. Let me give it one more try.

Yep, I got it. I was dumb... If you hold the shift key to long it will cause access to go back to the way it was.

mike96 is offline Novice
    Alright, one more question on this database. If I open the database and start a test, it is possible for someone else to open the same database and start another test of their own... However, when they do whoever had the test taker open first gets locked out of the questions. The database will continue to function however when the first person clicks on the next question button both the questions and answers show up as "DELETED". Is there any way to modify this database so that multiple persons can take a test at the same time? I thought it had to do something with the detached portion but I am not sure. I have another database that we use (quite a bit more extensive and involved) and it will allow multiple users without any interruption.

Windows XP Access 2007
    How is it set up there? The normal setup, called a split application, would be for the back end file containing the data files to be on a server or shared location, and each user to have a copy of the front end on their PC. If you're sharing a copy of the front end, you'd probably have issues like you described. I haven't looked at how the program works internally, so those are just general thoughts.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

mike96 is offline Novice
    As of right now everything both the front end and the backend are on a server. I didn’t think it would have an effect on how the database opens the backend file so I will try making a copy or the front end on a desktop and seeing what happens. The other database works just fine on the server as long as you use a shortcut to open the file. Otherwise it will tell you someone else has the database open and you have to open a copy.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Like I said, the standard setup is each person having a copy of the front end. As long as the developer didn't do anything unusual, that would let multiple users add and edit records at the same time (but not edit the same record at the same time).
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.