xwnoob is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2000

A big problem: Help to "loop" fields in form

Hello,

I really need some help in a problem im facing right now which has made me frustrated.

Please take a look at the attached pic which shows my latest form design.

Right now i have unwanted duplicate fields in my form which is the borrower's name. In my case, for each borrower that the user want to add (under the same title of borrower and SerialID), each borrower name will have his own country,address and up to 5 contact parties with each contact party having his own tel and fax no. The reason why there is 5 fields of name in my form is because at the time i actually thought of putting 5 borrowername fields and the relating fields in the form which is a bad idea. Its sloppy work and i read about normalisation so i must avoid duplicate data . Also it would waste alot of space if one case only has one borrower under it at first and many fields in the form would be empty.

Heres how i want the improved form to work:
    for the new form, the design will be the same just that there will be one field of borrower name. If there are 3 borrowers under a title( or a case), i want to add the first borrower details in the respective field. Then,by pressing a button(or having a function, the form will clear the contents in the borrowername,contactparty,faxno and tel no and then let the user type the second borrower info while the rest of the fields remain the same and so and so forth. I just want the serial ID to link to the second borrower and beyond so that i can perform queries using this link.

So how do i do it?using subforms? or some other functioN? the problem i see with my idea is that how can I prevent the serialno from incrementing as it is a autonumber and i want to make sure that the borrowers i add fall under the same serialID.

Also, if I only add 3 borrowers at first, but later i need to add 2 borrowers to the same serialID is it possible?

If you have a better method than this, do tell me

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2000
    It sounds like you'll want to use a Subform for the borrower information.

Your Subform will show a single Record at a time. If there are no associated borrower Records, it will default to a blank (new) Record, allowing you to enter your information.

Then, when you want to add another borrower, just click a button to make another new (blank) Record.

If you use this method, you can add as many new borrowers as you want, whenever you want to.
    Last edited by Rawb; 11-10-2011 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Added answer to last question!

xwnoob is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawb View Post
    It sounds like you'll want to use a Subform for the borrower information.

Your Subform will show a single Record at a time. If there are no associated borrower Records, it will default to a blank (new) Record, allowing you to enter your information.

Then, when you want to add another borrower, just click a button to make another new (blank) Record.

If you use this method, you can add as many new borrowers as you want, whenever you want to.
    Yea i think thats a good solution i guess ill give it a go

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.