supertanno is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Access adds records it shouldn't add?

OK, so this is the problem:

There's an aquarium club. The members (table:Members) can submit the fish bowls for a grade (table:Bowls). They get paid for this (table:Admin).

Now here's the problem: when I add a bowl in FRMbowls, a member is added to table:Members. Not a big problem, if it weren't for the fact that when I want to add a second bowl to a member, it adds that member a second time, so that you get e.g. 2 Tanno van de Kamps with 1 bowl each, whereas there should be 1 Tanno with 2 bowls.

I didn't use SQL in the queries, and couldn't find any weird things in the relations. I even added some, but to no avail. I'm also really bad with SQL, so please don't suggest that, as I need this knowledge for a test at school soon.

Could anyone help me? I will attach a zip file containing the database here. It's in Dutch, but with some English explanations and translations.

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    You based your bowl form on a query that joins the member and bowls table, so when you create a new record it is added to both tables. I would recommend binding the form to only the bowls table and use a combo box on that form to populate the member. You can use the combo box wizard to help create the combo box.

As to SQL, when you create a query even if it is in design grid view, you are using SQL. You can switch to SQL view to see what the SQL text looks like after you have created the query in design view.

You have some other opportunities for normalization of your data with respect to water type and temperature. These can be selected via combo boxes if you had the choices available in tables. I have added the tables and created a new form (frmBowls2) for illustration purposes in the attached database.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.