JackieEVSC is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

How to use "Filter" function on form

I have a form based on a table (tbl_RepairInfo). I need the form to only display records for specific schools, depending on which schools they have selected (stored in the tbl_MySchools table, SchoolName field). The field in the tbl_RepairInfo table is StudentSite.

Each tech can change their school selections on the fly.

I tried using a query to display the desired records, but doing so I'm unable to edit the form.

Can anyone help me or point me to a resource that could?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Filtering should not make the form data uneditable. Are you able to edit before filter is applied?

Here is one way to filter a form based on user selection http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/f...tomfilter.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I need to clarify my post (and I know I'm in way over my head with what I am attempting to accomplish):

I have a table called tbl_RepairInfo, with a field called "StudentSite".
    I have a table called tbl_MySchools, with a field called "SchoolName".
    I have a form called frm_RepairInfo.

The techs select the schools they want to see repair tickets for, can change at will, and those are stored in the tbl_MySchools. (They're using a Frontend database, so tbl_MySchools will be on their local machine. Each tech has one to four schools). This part is working.

I need the frm_RepairInfo to display records which correspond to the schools in the tbl_MySchools. I am unable to accomplish this. (Note: I don't want them to have to select the info from a combo box every time because some of them only have one school, and I KNOW they'll be asking why they have to select the same thing each time).

To make matters worse, they need to be able to filter the results down further, by a one of eight fields in this table (ticket number, student name, etc.), so I need a way for them to be prompted to enter their search criteria when they choose one of the different search options. I am unable to accomplish this.

I created queries to filter the results ... the queries prompt for the specific criteria and they work, but you can't edit a from based on a query (I wasn't thinking).

I do not know how to use the filter function on the form I created. I have tried every combintation I can think of. I understand vba a little ... enough to alter someone else's code to fit my needs, but I can't create it from scratch (oh, how I wish I could!). I have googled for a solution for HOURS. I'm totally lost without the help of someone who knows what their doing!!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    It is possible to edit data on a form with a query as RecordSource. The query has to be structured properly, but it is possible.

If you want to provide the project for analysis, attach to a post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Aha! I changed the query and from to "Dynaset (Inconsistent Updates)" AND IT WORKS!!!!! Geez. I wasted a LOT of hours trying to figure this out! Thank you SO much for your help!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.