This is a new method of "Networking" for me so I will try not to get to verbose. I have an extensive "Reading library" on my external hard drive that organizes the books in my collection in directories and identifies them by a file name. The file is a zip file with approriate information on the work and named as follows: "Publisher-yy-mm-dd - AuthorLastName, AuthorFirstName - BookTitle.zip". I want to use MS Access code to Open Windows explorer, negotiate to the directory where the books are saved and do the following:
Get the directory name (and recursive subdirectories), get the file name, parse the file name into sections using the " - " as the delimiter, and finally write the data acquired to an MS Access table.
Example:
G:\Library\Action\DoubleDay-95-07-02 - Nelson, Elliot - Where Roams The Courageous.zip
G:\Library\Action\Londons-95-07-09 - Graham, T.L.- Dangerous Is The Night.zip
G:\Library\Adventure\Londons-96-04-10 - Norey, Sir Charles- While Devonshire Slept.zip
G:\Library\Adventure\Fortuna-96-10-16 - Chadbourne, Robert - Forever Is The Hunter.zip
...and so on!
The result I am looking for is a table that displays as such:
BookID Publisher-yy-mm Day Author BookTitle Directory FileName
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
01 DoubleDay-95-07 02 Nelson, Elliot Where Roams The Courageous G:\Library\Action DoubleDay-95-07-02 - Nelson, Elliot - Where Roams The Courageous.zip
02 Londons-95-07 09 Graham, T.L. Dangerous Is The Night G:\Library\Action Londons-95-07-09 - Graham, T.L.- Dangerous Is The Night.zip
03 Londons-96-04 10 Norey, Sir Charles While Devonshire Slept G:\Library\Adventure Londons-96-04-10 - Norey, Sir Charles- While Devonshire Slept.zip

04 Fortuna-96-10 16 Chadbourne, Robert Forever Is The Hunter G:\Library\Adventure Fortuna-96-10-16 - Chadbourne, Robert - Forever Is The Hunter.zip
etc...
I was able to find 2 or three different segments of code to do individual things (Get&Write Directory and FileName to table), Parse Filename, Create new table from old table using Query, ... but cannot seem to bring all together to do a single function at one time.
Searched the internet ostensibly and again found individual pieces of what I require but tying them all together in a single function/subFuction has proven frustrating as I understand alot of MS Access when it comes to Query, Table, Form Building but just NOT enough to simplfy my need.
I would greatly appreciate anyone who might have a solution to what seems to me 'simple in logic' but 'difficult in execution'! Thanks to all in advance who might think my frustration is worth their valuable time!!