Paul H is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Datasheet Scrollbars

I'm getting inconsistent results when I change the scrollbar property on my forms using Datasheet View. On some I can't get a horizontal scrollbar to save my life, but I have at least one that does show a horizontal scrollbar, so I know it can be done. All of these datasheet forms are embeded in subforms. It is very awkward to not have this. The user must click on a visible field and tab over to the the hidden one.

Please ask if you need more info. I can't upload the database, but I'll be happy to provide more information.

Stingaway is offline Efficiency Junkie
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    The deep south. Keep going until you hit water basically.
    I have seen the exact same thing (and can recreate it) with a vertical scroll bar that I have on a subform. It's bloody annoying and I have yet to actually figure out why. If I click in the records and page down, the scroll bar appears, but if I leave it as is upon the form actually opening, it isn't there.

Paul H is offline Expert

Angry Barking Up the Wrong Tree

I'm still drilling into this. I've compared and set the properties of both the datasheet/subform that dispay the horizontal scrollbar and the one that doesn't. They are both identical in both the subform properties and the form properties, but they don't behave alike. One still displays the scrollbar and the other one won't.

I have a feeling I'm barking up the wrong tree, but I don't see any other trees to bark up.

The only thing I have seen on this topic that semi made sense was a guy barking up the tree on the default font sizes vs. the default record height in a datasheet view. I tried changing those to no avail, but it really is one annoying 'feature'.

I take it back. I just re-opened my database and it appears to have worked. (I had not closed the database out last night when I tested the theory...)

On the vertical, it appears that if your default font size is greater (by a gnat's hair) than the defaulted height of your datasheet's continuous record view, you can still see the data, but the vertical scroll bar doesn't show until you page down past the last record. I re-sized the records on the datasheet subform, saved, closed, re-opened and now have both scroll bars by default.

One would think it would be similar for the horizontal, but I can't think of how..

Is the subform itself larger than the room allowed on the main form for it?

Paul H is offline Expert

Angry

I thought you were on to something since I set the font name, height and weight in the on load event. I had to set the row height and other properties back to default using code before it would take effect. I closed and reopened the form and row height and font weight are substantially smaller, but no horizontal scrollbar.

The subform fits in the main form of course but the embeded form runs off the edge of the subform, hence needing the scrollbar.

Here's my theory. When my form opens I show and hide columns depending on a value selected on another form. Also there are onload and on current events. We've seen that this is buggy and I think that's it, a programming bug. Something in Access is just getting confused. I know I am. If I get a good solution, great. If not, that's OK. This is just costing me too much.

Thank you for posting your solution. I hope you learned something in the process.
    Last edited by Paul H; 10-21-2011 at 08:59 AM. Reason: typo

Make sure that once you made those changes you tried exiting access and going back in. That's what did it for me.. (ha).

Yeah the variable column visibility is sure to be a likely culprit. Have you tried setting the width of the subform to the maximum width of all columns when they are all visible? Maybe check the can grow/shrink properties as well to ensure that the subform size is locked at all times?

Paul H is offline Expert

Cool

You're going to like this.

I just played around with the subform height, not the datasheet row height, but just dragged the subform bottom edge up an inch from the bottom of the main form detail and wala, there is my scrollbar! Then I dragged it back down to see if it would disappear and it DIDN'T! I've fixed this form and several other datasheet forms. I'm going to save them and never open them again.

Thanks for sticking through this with me. Go figure.

OMG... I actually should have suggested that. It did not occur to me that the subform bottom edge would be below the view. I have had that issue on several occasions... had I been able to see it I would have tried that. Argh!! LOL

That is hilarious. Costly, but hilarious. I wonder why moving it back down below the view did not cause the same thing to occur, has to be some buggy code in there.

Glad it's fixed though, and hey, it fixed my vertical scroll issue as well, so all is good.

Cheers!

Mark this post as solved so I can get on with my day job, will you please?

Heh heh heh ...

Paul H is offline Expert
    Gladly!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.