joris is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Use a VBA procedure to copy good records from a corrupted to table

At a very small bookshop (where I volunteer) we use an access 2000 database to keep track of the books that are ordered and when they have arrived.

This database has been used intensively for over 9 years and recently started crashing very often. So I started looking for a solution to make it more stable. By importing the tables into a clean database I found one table that gives me problems importing into a clean database. So I guess this is the table that causes the problems. When I open the table I can also see that there is data corruption, because some titles of books have changed into random numbers or ++++++++ signs.

Ofcourse I tried the most obvious things first like repair and compact. But I guess there is no way of repairing this table. But to avoid data loss I want to export the not corrupted data to a fresh table in a new database. The problem is that the Table is very large, with over 16500 records.

This website http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/42850/1954 points me to an solution with a VBA procedure how to automate the rescue of the data that is not corrupted.

Problem is that I have no experience with running VBA code and this website just gives some code but not some clear instructions that a newbie would be able to follow.

So now I try to crash-course myself into the basics of VBA in Access, but I am not getting much further. I hope that someone here on this forum would like to give me some easy to follow instructions on how to get this code running on the corrupted table...

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    You can download the bas file from that site, extract it from the zip, then open it with Notepad. Copy/paste the code into a VBA module. The procedure is a Function so you have to call it as part of an expression. If you change it to a Sub doesn't have to be part of expression, just invoke the Sub.

Access Help should have introductory guidelines on coding.

16500 records isn't really a lot. If you can open the table and see which records are corrupt, can you sort them so that the good ones are all together? Then you select them as a group and do copy/paste to another table.

Could also try export to Excel, see if that cleans up the corruption or makes it easier to isolate the corrupt records. Then import or copy/paste good ones back into a new table.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

joris is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks for your fast reply June7.

I understand the part about copy and pasting the code in a module. But don't know how to go from there. It is frustrating, but I just lack the basic skills to figure out how to do this myself. Some step after step instructions would be very appreciated...

So now I am just trying very hard to copy paste the good records manually into a new table, but I only succeed when I try a few lines. (20 or so) Larger selections always fail, no matter how I sort. Then 16500 really are a lot of records to go through.... Luckily I have a backup from a few months ago, without any corruption. So that makes it a bit better... Still it is a lot of (boring) work.

Exporting to excel is not an option btw, because the corrupt table doesn't let it's data be exported...

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    You can put the code in general module or behind a form.

Call the procedure (function or sub) from a button Click event.

As a function call it with:
    x = CopyDataFromCorruptTable("put your table name here")

As a sub call it with:
    CopyDataFromCorruptTable("put your table name here")

That's about it, one line in button Click event.

Do you know how to create button and Click event procedure?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.