skyrise is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2010 (version 14.0)

Two Delete Record Problems

I have a database where I am trying to resolve two issues with deleting records.

The first issue is that I can’t delete a row in the subforms. The shortcut menu does not enable the “cut” option. Selecting/Highlighting the row and pressing Delete on the keyboard doesn’t work. I have to go to the table for the subform in order to delete the row. I don’t remember experienced this problem before, and don’t know the cause or how to change it.

The second solution I am seeking is to be able to use the Delete Record button to delete the main form record and the matching subform records that have the same record ID number (up to 15 subforms with multiple rows). The wizard-generated button builds a macro that deletes the main form record but not the subform records. I’m trying to find programming code that might delete everything at one time.

CraigDolphin is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Couple of things to note:

1. You haven't defined any relationships between your tables that would allow you take advantage of cascade delete (if you delete a record in the parent table, the child related records in the child table are also deleted). It also makes it hard to envisage what your data represents.

2. For some reason I seldom use datasheet views of table data in forms. When I change the subform view to continuous form, it is no problem to delete the subform records by selecting the row selector and hitting delete on the keyboard. But I have trouble doing this in datasheet view. Honestly I'm just not sure why this would be.

If you can't track the source of the problem then you could sidestep the issue by using continuous form view for your subforms.

HTH

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.