Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mgwat69 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

finding a record in a listbox part 2

I am a volunteer at a retirement center and helped design a kiosk which visitors use to find the room number and telephone number of a resident. We are using a touch screen monitor and a virtual keyboard. Currently the user types the first letter of the resident’s last name and the list box scrolls and highlights the first alphabetical name that starts with that letter. The user then scrolls to find the information of the resident they are looking for. We are trying to modify the application to allow the user to type in the first few letters on the resident’s last name. I found an application on the internet that nearly does what we want, except it does not highlight a name as it scrolls and if the user types a letter that no resident’s name begins with the list box goes blank and there is no way to get the list box contents back. I added a text box and a command button to my original application. Here is the code I have tried as I have adapted it.

Option Compare Database
    Option Explicit
    Private blnSpace As Boolean

Private Sub Ctl_cmdNewSearch_Click()
    Me.txtSearch.Value = ""
    Me.txtSearch.SetFocus

Me.Requery.List0
    End Sub

Private Sub txtSearch_Change()
    'CODE THAT HANDLES WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE USER TYPES IN THE SEARCH BOX
    Dim strFullList As String
    Dim strFilteredList As String

10 If blnSpace = False Then
    20 Me.Refresh 'refresh to make sure the text box changes are actually available to use

'specify the default/full rowsource for the control
    30 strFullList = "SELECT res_last_name, res_first_name, res_middle_name, spell_build, curr_room_nbr, curr_bed, phone FROM qryKiosk ORDER BY [res_last_name]; "

'specify the way you want the rowsource to be filtered based on the user's entry
    40 strFilteredList = "SELECT res_last_name, res_first_name, res_middle_name, spell_build, curr_room_nbr, curr_bed FROM qryKiosk WHERE [res_last_name] LIKE ""*" & Me.txtSearch.Value & _
    "*"" ORDER BY [res_last_name]"
    'run the search
    50 fLiveSearch Me.txtSearch, Me.List0, strFullList, strFilteredList

60 End If

End Sub
    Private Sub txtSearch_KeyPress(KeyAscii As Integer)
    'NECESSARY TO IDENTIFY IF THE USER IS HITTING THE SPACEBAR
    'IN WHICH CASE WE WANT TO IGNORE THE INPUT

10 On Error GoTo err_handle

20 If KeyAscii = 32 Then
    30 blnSpace = True
    40 Else
    50 blnSpace = False
    60 End If
    Exit Sub
    err_handle:
    80 Select Case Err.Number
    Case Else
    90 MsgBox "An unexpected error has occurred: " & vbCrLf & Err.Description & _
    vbCrLf & "Error " & Err.Number & "(" & Erl & ")"
    100 End Select
    End Sub

When I type into the text box txtSearch I get the message:
    “Error accessing file. Network connection may have been lost”
    Then the debugger highlights the line:
    Private Sub txtSearch_Change()
    Or the line:
    Private Sub txtSearch_KeyPress(KeyAscii As Integer)
    Also, the cmdNewSearch button does not erase the contents of txtSearch nor does it put focus there.
    For some reason the code generator automatically put Ctl in front of cmdNewSearch line
    Private Sub Ctl_cmdNewSearch_Click()

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    The interface is an Access project? Is the combobox AutoExpand property set to Yes?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003

finding a record in a listbox part 2

We are using Access 2003 and the code is Visual Basic. The application uses a list box not a combo box. The row source is:
    SELECT res_last_name, res_first_name, res_middle_name, spell_build, curr_room_nbr, curr_bed, phone FROM qryKiosk ORDER BY [res_last_name]
    We tried a combo box when we first designed the kiosk but it only displayed last name when the user typed in a letter

June7 is online now VIP
    You can have combobox or listbox show full name as single value by concatenating the name fields.

SELECT res_last_name & ", " & res_first_name & " " & res_middle_name As FullName, spell_build, curr_room_nbr, curr_bed, phone FROM qryKiosk ORDER BY [res_last_name]

So the combobox AutoExpand property would complete the full name as user types characters.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003

finding a record in a combo box

June7
    Thanks for your help. I left everything in columns because that is how our users are used to seeing the list box that we are currently using.
    The combo box works great with one small thing I do not like. When you first start the application, you have to click on the gray arrow in the top section of the combo box in order to get the bottom of the combo box to show up,. Also if you click on the name in the top of the combo box, the bottom of the combo box disappears. Is there a way to make the bottom of the combo box show up all the time.

June7 is online now VIP
    You can use the Dropdown method of a combobox to cause the drop list to open when the combobox gets focus or is entered. Examples:

Private Sub cbxLabNum_GotFocus()
    Me.cbxLabNum.Dropdown
    End Sub

Private Sub cbxBrandType_Enter()
    Me.cbxBrandType.Dropdown
    End Sub

Selecting any item of the droplist, not just the first, should cause it to close. If you want it to stay open then use then also use AfterUpdate event with the Dropdown method.
    Last edited by June7; 10-11-2011 at 05:24 PM.

Windows XP Access 2003
    June7,
    I tried adding a command button to the form with the following code:

Option Compare Database
    Private Sub cmdNewSearch_Click()
    Me.Combo0.Value = ""
    Me.Combo0.SetFocus
    Me.Combo0.Dropdown
    End Sub

When I click on it I get the error message:
    "Error accessing file. Network connection may have been lost."
    Any suggestions?

June7 is online now VIP
    Not familiar with that error.

If you want to provide project for analysis, I will look at.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thank you, I appreciate your continued attention. I surfed the net myself and the only thing I have found so far is to "make sure you are using Access 2003." I double checked and indeed that is the case.

Windows XP Access 2003
    June7,
    I am not sure what you need from me next

June7 is online now VIP
    Look at my examples. The Dropdown code is in event of the combobox, not a button Click.

If you want further help, post project for analysis.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Because of privacy issues I will have to build a substitute table for the main table in the database. This will take me a few days. Can I simply paste the database into a reply when I get it ready or do I have to do something else with it?

June7 is online now VIP
    Run Compact & Repair, zip if still large. Manage Attachments is available below the Advanced post editor.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thank you for your patience
    I think I attached OK

June7 is online now VIP
    Need more info. What form is the issue? Had trouble downloading that project. Got error messages about a bunch of forms that would not load. File is corrupted, can't analyse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.