catniptakeout is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

#name? in Tab Control Tab fields

Greetings-

I have a data capture project that entails over 30 different tables that I need to combine on a user friendly form. The primary key in the main table is a foreign key in all the other 29 tables.

The 29 different tables all have different questions (fields) - that may or may not be applicable. I have to provide the option to enter data if applicable.

Primary Key: Agreement #
    Foreign Key on every form: Agreement #

I am playing with 2 options on the form - a tab contol for the forms or using subforms.

I created a tab contol and I am recieving the attached error
    and the value in the fields in this tab are #name?

I think I'm missing something with with the relationship or move to subforms ?

thanks,

Julie

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    You can have both tab control and subforms. The subforms can be on pages of the tab control.

The #Name error is because Access can't find the referenced item. Is the control on main form or a subform? Is it referencing a field of the main form RecordSource?

What is the relationship of tables - 1-to-many?

There is a limit to how many controls can be on a form.

BTW, recommend against spaces and special characters in names. Instead of Agreement #, AgreementNum is better.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

catniptakeout is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

join expression not supported

Thank you very much for your response. I updated my fields to not included spaces or characters.

I created a form using the wizard to created the base.

I created a relationship a one to one relationship between Table 1 & Table 2
    I created a form form Table 1 using the wizard as my base.

I added a tab control and entered the fields from Table 2 on the first tab - no problem.

I attempted to add the fields from Table 3 on the second tab and as soon as i click out it says join expression not valid and errors out all the fields in the form form table 1 and table 2 ( the first tab).

I've searched through the bookis I have and online - not sure what I am missing.

Thanks again,

julie

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I created a relationship a one to one relationship between Table 1 & Table 2
    Are you referring to the Relationship builder under Database Tools?

What you need to do is set up a form/subform(s) arrangement. Main form has RecordSource of Table1. To create a 'subform', drag a subform container control onto main form (you can put it on page of tab control if you want). Set the SourceObject and Master/Child link properties. SourceObject can be a table, query, form, or report. All of my containers have a form or report as SourceObject. You will need two subform containers (for Tables 2 and 3 or their forms).

I don't use the wizards. Do things I don't like and make it harder to modify design. Controls are 'grouped' and can't resize/move individually unless you remove the grouping. Select the grouped controls, right click>Layout>Remove

Access Help has guidelines on building form/subform.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.