DanKoz is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Conditional Formatting based on Query/Table

I have a report in which exam (test) responses are displayed. If the answers are wrong I want them to appear in red.

Using the Conditional Formatting dialog box I am able to successfully turn the incorrect answers red if I hard code the correct answer in the dialog box:
    e.g. Field Value Is not equal to "True" (then make the text red)
    This works fine.

However, if I use the expression builder to point to a table or query field that has the correct answer (instead of hard coding "True") the conditional formatting does not work.
    e.g. Field Value Is not equal to [qryName].[Answer1] (then make the text red)
    This does NOT work.

I tried comparing to fields in a table instead of a query and it still does not work.

Does the table or query somehow have to be linked to the report as a datasource? Can I not just point to any table or query in the database?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Dan

Robeen is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    My experience with conditional formatting in report design view is that there is a limit to how fancy you can get with it.

I was thinking of how I would do it to get my incorrect answers in red on the report & the easiest way I could come up with [yes - I usually go with the simplest way of doing things!] was:

Create a query that matches answers sudents' answers with the correct answers and if they match have a new field in the Query that has the value 'Correct' if the answers match & 'Incorrect' if they do not.

Then, base your report on the query & look for 'Incorrect' and change the color to red when it is found.

Your field that shows 'Correct' & 'Incorrect' does not have to be visible on the report.

Let me know if this helps.

I don't know if you can get really fancy with conditional formatting in Access reports - unless you want to research doing it in VBA.

All the best!

DanKoz is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Thanks for your reply. You solution may yet be one I have to pursue.

However, it appears that right in the Conditional Formatting dialog box there is a link to the expression builder which allows me to specify a table/query and a field, instead of hard coding a value. Yet when I go this route the conditional formatting is not applied. Hard coding the value does work, but not referencing a value in a table/query.

Dan

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.