Vusi is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Tape Schedule

Good day

My name is Vusi and I'm new in this forum. I'm currently learning access and can't wait to start using it effectively.

Members I need your help please. I need a form that would auto generate a schedule. The schedule will be for our backup tapes.

I have attached an excel spreed sheet to demostrate what I require.

The only thing that should be entered on the database is the back up date. The rest should auto generate and increament on the records that are on the fields.

We have three sets of five tapes to be used for the period of three week, for example week one would be set a monday - friday, week two would be set B and week 3 would be set C. This means that todays tape would only return in three weeks on a moday (19 september).

I hope I'm clear in what I've asked and it can be done. please look at the attachment to gett an idea of what I'm talking about.

This should be on one table, the return date and the send date should be on the righthand side of the table.

Thank you all in advance for your assistance.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    What about the Bag number and form number, do you have a starting number and you just want to increment them by 1 for every value and 1 for every third value respectively? Are those user defined or are you starting from a value of x and y and just incrementing them or labeling them as they leave your system with whatever the application generates?

Vusi is offline Novice
    I start from the value of x and y and keep incrementing.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    You actually do not need to do any data entry at all for your database if you are using this strictly for scheduling your backups. Here is an example.

The only thing you have to do when you open the database is

1. Open the tblBAGS and put in your current maximum bag number
    2. Open the tblFORMNUMBER and put in your current maximum form number

THESE ARE A 1 TIME SETUP ONLY

Both of these will be incremented by 1 for the next record processed.

The way I have set this up it is starting with no data, and when it starts with no data it takes the FIRST server name, (I set them up to have the same order as your example) and applies the bag number you entered +1, the form number you entered +1. Regardless of what day you start it figures out the start of the current week and the end of the current week. If the day you open the form is a saturday or sunday it will go to NEXT week's days, if it's a monday through friday it will apply THIS week's days. Then it will create a record in the tblBackupSchedule for each server for each day. Then you can choose which period you want to print from the list box and click the button and presto, you have your report.

Any time you open the form from then on, if the current date is greater than the maximum date in the tblBackupSchedule table a new set of dates is added and are immediately available to print.

Vusi is offline Novice
    Thank you very much I will have to look at this further tomorrow.

Vusi is offline Novice
    Sorry I've tried to implement as you have explained but can't. the numbers do not increment. Please help.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    All of the numbers increment correctly in my testing. Are you putting the database in a trusted location? It's running code that may not run if you aren't.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.