merlin777 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2007

the operation on the ole object failed

I'm getting the following error in relation to inserting an image to access 2007:

the operation on the ole object failed
    the ole server may not be registered
    to register the ole server, reinstall it

I get the error with all types of image files (created from file but not linked) and others including excel and word. when I 'activate' the contents of the package the correct program opens and displays the image.

insertion of images puts the 'package' in the field, excel and word don't result in anything if I create from file it puts in a blank doc and I can click on that to reopen them.

if i use the link otion i don't get the error but the images still dont display in forms or reports in any kind of view (i get a generic icon and the filename and the words 'command line')

I really don't want to reinstall all this software and i'm thinking there must be something else wrong for all those software packages to need reinstalling.

any suggestions?

btw I need to be downward compatible with 2003 so i can't use attachments and the way the workbook will be used excludes vba.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    You are inserting the image with VBA code? Show the code and/or attach project.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    You are inserting the image with VBA code? Show the code and/or attach project.
    No - I'm afraid I can't use VBA. Even if I could the way the workbooks are shared precludes VBA.

I'm just putting them into the field directly with the right-click menu.

June7 is offline VIP
    Need to backup, I don't understand what you are doing. You are inserting image in a control on an Access form? What do Excel and Word have to do with this? Define 'package'.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Need to backup, I don't understand what you are doing. You are inserting image in a control on an Access form? What do Excel and Word have to do with this? Define 'package'.
    in the database table in data sheet view, i right click in a cell in the field for my photos which is set to data type 'ole object' and I get the results listed above.

as a test, I tried inserting a word doc and excel doc, as ole objects, in the same field. I recieved no error but neither did they insert. I could create blank docs which I coud edit, though.

June7 is offline VIP
    Okay I just tested inserting an object into an oleObject field and it worked, although not without issues. A PDF did insert and I could open it but also triggered the error you described but not until I closed the PDF. A Word document also inserted but errored when I tried to open it. Although it finally would open.

I never have had need to dynamically display objects and if I did probably would not save to table because of file bloat. I would store Hyperlink path to the object saved in folder so could open the object in its native app. One time I tried displaying embedded objects like worksheet or Word doc in a form or report did not go well. For images, I would use a text field and the Image control on form and set the ControlSource property. What format are the images? If you must embed image into db and only have one image per record and only images (not Word doc) try using the Attachment field type and the Image Control to display it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.