Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    Why don't you have a control for First Name and another control for Last Name since you are splitting the name anyway??? You can always concatenate the first and last to get the full name.

Then you can check for first and last - if either control is empty/null, then set the focus to the control that has missing data with an error message to fill in the control.

BTW, how do you handle names like "Jose De La Cruz", "Emilo De Leon Arroyo" or "Annie Lynn Wilson"???

josephff is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by ssanfu View Post
    Why don't you have a control for First Name and another control for Last Name since you are splitting the name anyway??? You can always concatenate the first and last to get the full name.

Then you can check for first and last - if either control is empty/null, then set the focus to the control that has missing data with an error message to fill in the control.

BTW, how do you handle names like "Jose De La Cruz", "Emilo De Leon Arroyo" or "Annie Lynn Wilson"???

agreed, i had already thought about this. However by the time i realized i needed both the first name and last name seperately i had already coded lots the other way so i was trying to work with what i already started.

Haha didnt get that far yet with multiple names :P

Thanks for all your help guys, i think i will revamp and go with 2 controls instead of one.....except for now my access is crashing again when trying to enter the code designer...second time its happened and not sure how i fixed it the first time.

Thanks again

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Just a hint: we usually do validation in the BeforeUpdate event of the controls. If there is a problem then set Cancel = True to hold the focus in that control.

josephff is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by RuralGuy View Post
    Just a hint: we usually do validation in the BeforeUpdate event of the controls. If there is a problem then set Cancel = True to hold the focus in that control.

very cool ill give that a shot too. That sounds a lot cleaner.

im just a noob learning by doing and everytime i build something i learn a little more.

Thanks

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    im just a noob learning by doing and everytime i build something i learn a little more.
    Been working with databases since dBase III and FileMaker Pro (Mac) - and I'm *still* learning!! (it means I'm not dead yet!!!)

It's good you fixing the First Name/ Last Name problem now - it is MUCH harder to fix it later, after you have been using it for a year (or more).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.