Oop

MDB is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Oop

Hi All,

Reading through the Access Bible 2010 book, there's a chapter on object opriented programming & class modules. The book recommends using these (i.e. class modules and OOP).

In real world Access applications, how common is object oriented programming/class modules?

The reason I ask is because I'm starting a new job requiring Access skills and am trying to get up to speed in the most important/common areas before commencing.

Thanks

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Class modules are not common, primarily because most access apps don't need them. User defined classes are only one concept in OOP languages. You can find them anywhere.

It's not access specific, so if you think you need the knowledge, read up on what they are. For instance, in access you can have a user defined TYPE that looks something like this:

Code:
    public type myType
       prop1 as long
       prop2 as long
       prop3 as long
    end type
    and that code represents nothing more than an object created by the developer than has 3 dimensions to it that can each be measured by the LONG data type. If you google this, you can find numerous explanations of why and when you need this stuff. Rarely should you need them, though.

Chip Pearson has an excellent article on this, here:

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/classes.aspx

In terms of the "why's, where's, etc...", Chip's article is the best one I've seen to date.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.