jenestra is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Yes/No box in tables

Beginner here, trying to design a database and just browsing some of these threads, I see that certain things are undesirable in tables.

Are Yes/No boxes ok to place in tables??

My situation: My db is going to be for tracking records requests. We receive payment, usually checks, with these requests and because the cost of some records varies according to the number of pages, we receive checks written out as "Not to exceed x dollars."
    I was thinking of having a field for entering the dollar amount/limit along with a "Not To Exceed?" checkbox.

Does this sound okay or is there a better way to do this? Because I'd like to also record the final amount the check was deposited for but I might just do this in a Notes field. The more I try to think this through, the more tables I create. I just don't want to make things unnecessarily complicated.

Thanks in advance for whatever advice you can give me.

ketbdnetbp is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003

jenestra -

As far as I'm concerned, Yes/No fields in tables are acceptable if the business process dictates such a need. However, under the circumstances you described, I'm not sure this is practical. IMHO, you might be better served having two fields, one for actual and the second for the upper limit. This will enable you to compare the two as well as total the actual deposit for a particular period.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim

Access_Blaster is offline User
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thank you for the suggestion, Jim. It brings up another question though. If I go that route, the Upper Limit field will be blank more often than not because it's a fairly small number of checks that are made out that way. Is it okay to have a field that will usually be blank?

The primary function of this db will be to track the status of the requests, not really to keep track of all the money they bring in. (Our Fiscal Unit handles all that) Although I am planning on including a Create Invoice function for Fiscal so they can bill the charge accounts.

Average requests per year: Abt 7,000
    In any given month, the NTE checks can number between 20-40. I'm just trying to find the simplest way to record the info without totally screwing things up. And as long as it's ok that the field remain empty the majority of the time, I'm fine doing it that way.

Thanks again.
    Jennifer

Windows XP Access 2003
    Also, thanks Access Blaster for the links. I'll be sure print those out for my notes. Looks like good info to have.

ketbdnetbp is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003

jenestra -

You stated: It brings up another question though. If I go that route, the Upper Limit field will be blank more often than not because it's a fairly small number of checks that are made out that way. Is it okay to have a field that will usually be blank?

IMO, it's probably not a good idea to have blank fields, if you can avoid it. Therefore, you could set the upper limit field's value to Zero (default value of control on form = 0) or to the actual amounts value, as an alternative, so there would not be blank fields only ones with an amount.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.