mjhopler is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Lookup to show related values

Two questions, but they are related.

In the attached Database, I have four tables. The purpose of the Database is to track training for employees. A quick description of each table:

Employees: List of employees requiring training
    Course List: List of Courses offered

Course Schedule: When said courses are offered (one to many relationship with Course List). this has a Composite Primary key consisting of the Course Number and Section Number
    Course Attendance: This is to track which employees attended which class.

Question 1:
    In the Course Attendance table, the first field (SOS Course Number) looks to the Course Schedule table. This field uses a lookup to select the course and section number, but only displays the course number. How do I get it to also display both the course and section number (don't care if it is displayed in one or two columns)?

Question 2:
    Similar problem, except the second field is Employee Last Name which is a lookup from the Employee table. I want to display both last and first name in two separate columns.

Note, I realize there are spaces in table and field names. Please ignore this for now. It will be fixed later.

thank you,

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    For the first part, create an independent single field PK for your courseschedule table, an autonumber will work just fine. When you assign a person to a class use the single field unique identifier, not the dual field PK.

Similarly, in your CourseAttendance table, do not store the last name (what if the name is typed in incorrectly and the person is assigned a course, then the person's name is corrected or changed, you have orphaned all of your information in the CourseAtendance table, instead store the ID from the Employee table.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.