jdrogers81 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

I Need To Enable Multi-users To Edit The Same Record, Please Help! (Access 2007)

Ok, here is the scenario:

A job that takes 3 hours has 10 employees working it. During those 3 hours, any of the 10 employees will need to update the same job, possibly at the same time. Additionally, the supervisor needs to see all updates as soon as possible and keeps the form open for the entire job duration. Every user, however, has a different responsibility and as such will not update the same fields in the record during the job.

I am aware that my database design may be flawed and that I could use seperate tables for each responsibility. The issue is that when entering data, each employee needs to see EVERY field as it may influence their entries (sub forms possiblly?). Additionally, I want the form to look the same for everyone. I also have multiple reports built upon a querys from a tblMain containing all of the fields in the DB, either as the whole record, or as a linked table with just the FieldID. These reports are recaps of previous jobs, queried by a field value and/or between dates.

So, I either need EVERYONE to be able to edit a single record at the same time, OR need advice on how to re-design the database. The redesign can be for sub-forms/queries/etc, or rather with code to save/refresh so frequently that there is a very small window for editing errors. Thanks much!

Additional Details: Not yet a FE/BE. I will split as soon as I feel the DB design is complete. EVERY user may potentially modify any field, however, they typically only modify specific fields.

Attached is a screenshot of the database, sanatized for content.
    Last edited by jdrogers81; 08-13-2011 at 11:26 PM.

jdrogers81 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Screenshot

Attached is the screenshot, sanatized for content.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.