dchaboya is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Select record based on values of other records

This may be a doozy, but what do I know, I very green when it comes to access. Here it goes...

I have fish telemetry data (1.4 million detections). Each detection has the ID of the fish, date, time and name of the receiver that detected the ID. A lot of these detections are false possitives (fake detections) and one way of determining whether a detection is false is by examining the time of the detections before and after the dection in question. Confused?

Here is an example:

The middle dection is false because the times of the dections before and after it are too far appart (lets say 5 minutes is too far appart)
    Date Time02/01/201012:00:5602/01/201012:02:0102/01/201012:10:0702/01/201012:24:1502/01/201012:25:29
    How the heck can I select these detections and delete them? Is it possible? Is this more of a programming question?

Cheers,

Daniel Chaboya

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Let's start with the subject matter.
    What exactly are you dealing with -- in terms of the Things?

Fish
    Detection Location
    Detection Time
    Detection Time Interval

What are you trying to determine (Purpose of all this??)
    Do you have a database? Is it normalized?

We need some context if we are to assist.

dchaboya is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Thanks for taking the time to responde, Orange.

The data is downloaded on to software thats from the same manufacture as the receiver (Vemco). The software itself can perfome simple queries such as search detections by ID, search by receiver, search by date and or date range. The data is formatted the same as a spreadsheet with records being individual detections and feilds includind date, time, fish ID, receiver ID.

This raw data can be exported as a csv file. Before performing any statistical analysis on the data it must be cleaned up by eliminating records that are likely to be false positives. So, the purpose of this task is to remove false dectections in order to produce accurate statistical information. I come to this forum to determine if it's possible to create a query that will identify detections (records) that have time gaps before and after the detection of 5 minutes.

No, I am not working with a database yet. I want to clean up the data before I create one. All the data is on a single spread sheet.

Cheers,

Daniel Chaboya

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.