waltb is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Report Conditional Page Break (not!)

Briefly, I have a relational database for tracking inventory of samples. A 'Study' can produce any number of 'Samples' and each 'Sample' can generate up to 5 replicates termed 'Aliquots', using 3 tables as follows: Study, Sample, and Aliquots. All 3 tables use KeyIDs. The Sample table also includes the value to refer back to it's study. The Aliquots table also includes the value to refer back to it's Sample. Referential integrity is enforced such that if a study needs to be deleted, then all downstream Sample and associated Aliquot records are deleted as well. All is going well.

A query-based Sample Log report is configured such that the Samples are sorted to list in sequential order (along with an Aliquot subsort) (starting with "1" until the end of the year, then start over with "1" for a new year). The associated Study also appears along side the sample number. All of this displays in the Details section of the report. A page break must occur if the Study name changes.

At first, all seemed OK if I grouped by the study KeyID (not the study name itself since the study numbers do not arrive in logical order). Howevever, a study required additional products later in the year and resulted in some sample numbers appearing out of their logical numeric sequence due to the grouping.

I then decided to remove the report grouping, and add some expressions to the query (one called "NEWPAGE") which would eventually compare and evaluate the study number from one aliquot to the next (via a DLookup using ID +1), resulting in "Yes" or "No" results if a page break was required or not, and added the following code to the Details Format:

If NewPage = "Yes" Then
    Reports![SampleLog].Section(acDetail).ForceNewPage = 2
    Else
    Reports![SampleLog].Section(acDetail).ForceNewPage = 0
    End If

That was working fine, except I have some missing KeyID values due to record deletions. And of course my expressions to determine a page break evaluate incorrectly on those rare occassions where (ID +1) doesn't exist (I had included NZ in my expressions to avoid null arguments).

So, how do I "look up" a value in the next record from any given record within my report when (ID +1) results in a null value, in order to make a page break determination?

Thanks.

apr pillai is offline Competent Performer

Report Conditional Page Break (not!)

You can generate new KeyIDs for each Year group by adding a new Column in the Report Query. Copy the following VBA Code into a Standard Module and save the Code:
    Code:
    Public Function QrySeq(ByVal fldvalue, _
                           ByVal fldName As String, _
                           ByVal QryName As String, _
                           ByVal ctrlField As String) As Long
    '-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    'Purpose: Create Sequence Numbers in Query in a new Column
    'Author : a.p.r. pillai
    'Date   : Dec. 2009
    'URL    : www.msaccesstips.com
    'All Rights Reserved by www.msaccesstips.com
    '-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    'Parameter values
    '1 : Column Value - must be unique Values from the Query
    '2 : Column Name  - the Field Name from Unique Value Taken
    '3 : Query Name   - Name of the Query this Function is Called from
    '4 : Group Column Name - To check & Reset to 1 for each group
    'Limitations - Function must be called with a Unique Field Value like AutoNumber
    '            - as First Parameter
    '            - Need to Save the Query after change before opening
    '            - in normal View.
    On Error GoTo QrySeq_Err
    Dim k As Long

restart:
    If i = 0 Or DCount("*", QryName) <> i Then
        Dim j As Long, db As Database, rst As Recordset

i = DCount("*", QryName)
        ReDim varArray(1 To i, 1 To 4) As Variant
        Set db = CurrentDb
        Set rst = db.OpenRecordset(QryName, dbOpenDynaset)

j = 1: k = 1
        Do While j <= i And Not rst.EOF
           varArray(j, 1) = rst.Fields(fldName).Value
           varArray(j, 2) = k
           varArray(j, 3) = fldName
           If j <> 1 And j <> i Then
              If rst.Fields(ctrlField).Value <> varArray(j - 1, 4) Then
                k = 1
                varArray(j, 2) = k
              End If
           End If
              varArray(j, 4) = rst.Fields(ctrlField).Value
              rst.MoveNext
              j = j + 1: k = k + 1
        Loop
           rst.Close
    End If

If varArray(1, 3) & varArray(1, 1) <> (fldName & DLookup(fldName, QryName)) Then
        i = 0
        GoTo restart
    End If

For k = 1 To i
    If varArray(k, 1) = fldvalue Then
        QrySeq = varArray(k, 2)
        Exit Function
    End If
    Next

QrySeq_Exit:
    Exit Function

QrySeq_Err:
    MsgBox Err & " : " & Err.Description, , "QrySeqQ"
    Resume QrySeq_Exit

End Function
    Create a new Query Column and call the QrySeq() Function with correct parameters to generate sequence numbers for each Year Group.

If you need continuous Sequence Numbers for the full Query Records then refer the following Blog Post: Autonumbering in Query Column. The above Code is a variant of this blog post and is intended to publish the solution in an Article next week.

Read the comment section at the top of the Code to pass the parameters correctly when called from a Query Column.

Good luck.

waltb is offline Novice
    Thanks! Just a couple of questions:
    1. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like I need to substitute various parameters with those from my own database (QryName, fldName, CtrlField)?

2. Does these loops and arrays function AFTER the report sorting has taken place (which gets my data in the correct sequential order for display)?

3. Rather than creating temporary sequential 'KeyID' values, is there VBA coding simply involving 'move to next record' within a query-based recordset, to obtain and compare the needed values for my expressions?

Thanks!

Walt
    Last edited by waltb; 08-10-2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: edit

Yes, you have to substitute the parameter values from your own Query.

You may create a Make-Table Query and run it to create an output table for your report with the correct sequence numbers. This will ensure that the generated new numbers stays in the Table.

waltb is offline Novice
    Thanks. I'll give it a whirl and let you know.

waltb is offline Novice
    Ok, finally getting back to this issue. Substituting "QryName" was the easy part. I'm confused regarding the following two items:

rst.Fields(fldName).Value

rst.Fields(ctrlField).Value

I'm not sure what 'fldName' and 'ctrlField' are referring to. I'm assuming 'fldName' is the KeyID field name (in my case, simply ID). If so, what is 'ctrlField'?

Thanks!

You must sort the data on the 'CtrlField' to group the Value on this field and the sequence number will reset to 1 on this field when the value changes.

Example:
    Sample Data
    ------------

SchoolName ID Score KeyID
    City School . . . 1 . . . 15 . . . 1
    City School . . . 5 . . . 13 . . . 2
    City School . . . 3 . . . 10 . . . 3
    Holy Trinity . . . 8 . . . 25 . . . 1
    Holy Trinity . . . 15 . . . 17 . . . 2
    Holy Trinity . . . 6 . . . 9 . . . 3
    Holy Trinity . . . 2 . . . 6 . . . 4

The sample Function call for the above data:

Call QrySeq([ID],"ID","Query1","SchoolName")

waltb is offline Novice
    Thanks again. However, I was able to find another solution. It was a counter within a function, much like you presented, but only ~12-15 lines of code, which was called up in the report query.
    There was no need for an array. A grouping (by this counter value) was added to the report and works like a charm. I wouldn't have figured it out but it was easier than I thought. Thanks again!
    Last edited by waltb; 10-23-2011 at 07:48 PM. Reason: text edit

alikeita is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

conditional page break for a specific control in a specific place

Hi,
    I have a report on which countries names and their delegations will appear. However, on some pages, and at the end of the page, a country can stay alone when the members of the delegation are on the other page.
    I tried Keep Together but didn’t work, this because I want all countries to be continued but if one country’s name stays at the end of the page it will be forced to join its delegation members on the next page.
    I tried also the conditional break based on a control specific value, but this one will break the page every time at the same place even if the country fits in the page.
    Is there any thing that helps to count access report lines or controls per page so I can apply a code on it to break at a specific place of the page ?
    Thanks

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.