raffie77 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

exclusive mode

Hello People,

I have a secured access database running on a network.
    when I want to edit a form I get the message that it's in use by someone else. I heard a few things about record locks. but I'm not sure how that works.

what I want is this:
    on my access 2003 database I want to edit a form or report without access bugging me that it's in use, I can't open it exclusive because someone is using it. what's the best solution?

regards,

Ralph

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    The BEST solution is to have it split and the backend (tables only) on the file server and the copy of the frontend (all other objects) is on EACH user's machine. Then you don't need to worry about it being opened exclusive as you all can use it.

Oh, and then you would just edit the master copy and then re-deploy the frontend when you are done. You can do that real easily if you use my Frontend Auto Update Enabling Tool which is free and helps you so that you don't have to deploy new copies to each user, but as you make updates and then set the version number to change your users are notified that they have an out of date copy (when they try to open it) and then it closes itself, deletes itself, downloads the new copy, and then reopens automatically.

For the secured database, make sure to select the correct Auto Update Enabling Tool as there is one on my site for secured databases which does things a little differently than my normal one for non-secured databases.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by boblarson View Post
    The BEST solution is to have it split and the backend (tables only) on the file server and the copy of the frontend (all other objects) is on EACH user's machine. Then you don't need to worry about it being opened exclusive as you all can use it.
    ok I will give it a try tomorrow, that frontend tool looks good.

I'll try that thanks for the advise it's verry helpfull

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by boblarson View Post
    Oh, and then you would just edit the master copy and then re-deploy the frontend when you are done. You can do that real easily if you use my Frontend Auto Update Enabling Tool which is free and helps you so that you don't have to deploy new copies to each user, but as you make updates and then set the version number to change your users are notified that they have an out of date copy (when they try to open it) and then it closes itself, deletes itself, downloads the new copy, and then reopens automatically.

For the secured database, make sure to select the correct Auto Update Enabling Tool as there is one on my site for secured databases which does things a little differently than my normal one for non-secured databases.
    Hi Bob,

both tools doesn't work
    in de secured version (the one I need) gives me a error:
    "error 2501 during execute" (error message is in dutch I try to translate it)
    "the action transfer database is canceled"
    when I open the VBA I see on line higlighted:
    DoCmd.TransferDatabase acExport, "Microsoft Access", strFEFile, acModule, "basFEUpdate", "basFEUpdate"

Anny idea?

Not sure why it would do that. But you can just open your database and then import the module basFEUpdate from the tool manually.

thebatfink is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Hi, I have this same problem and have decided to go the route of splitting the database. I stumbled across your tool for auto updating and was quite excited to see it in action

I have a secured database with .mdw workgroup file. I have split the database from the original manually by just deleting out the tables for the front end then again with everything else for the back end. The result is, to open either database it has to go through the .mdw file (I don't the back end unsecured).

So I downloaded your tool and filled in all the relevant options, including the .mdw file, but when I attempt to 'Enable Auto-Updating' I get a runtime error 3033 I don't have access to the back end database. I presume that its because my backend is also secured with the mdw.

So my question is.. how do I use this tool in my setup!

You can't do it with an mdw secured backend. The backend should not be secured like that.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.