sotssax is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Limiting access to BE data

First, I'm sorry for not searching the forums first but I have little time to look around.

I have database that I have split into a FE and BE. The BE is stored on a network folder that is restricted by permissions (I have access to it). The FE needs to be distributed to users on our network. The problem is some tables on the DB have sensitive data that general users should not see. I just need the users to complete forms to submit data. And the forms are based on queries.

I'm pretty sure that I cannot have the FE connect to the secured network folder. Is there a way to create an intermediary DB with a parred down table, link it to the user FE and import it to my BE without a ton of steps?

Am I just thinking about this the wrong way?

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    The short answer is if the back end database is in a location that the user does not have read/write access to they are not going to be able to update your database. Are all of your tables access tables, or are they coming from a SQL or other similar database package? If they're coming from SQL you can likely create a view (SQL version of a query) and use that as your data source for data entry.

I'm assuming some of the queries you are talking about have sensitive information on them and you are only showing portions of the data on them and therefore can not separate sensitive from non-sensitive tables?

The other option is to create tables that are split into the sensitive and non-sensitive data but this would be a real pisser to maintain.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    One is best to categorize the threat.

If your concern is the non-tech user - - it is quite simple to control visibility of data/fields in the front end; and also to make the database window not visible in the BE file.

If your concern is the tech user - that will root about on your server and and will knows some Access then you will have to do more work. An mde for the FE - and deactivate the normal shift/f11 method to view the database window in favor of custom keys.

If they are highly malicious then you will need to explore using the sqlserver product for the BE which has additional security capabilities.

Hope this helps.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.