ITEM_NUMBER TRANSACTION_DATES
    XYZ 01/02/2011
    XYZ 02/02/2011
    XYZ 05/02/2011
    ZZZ 01/02/2010
    ZZZ 01/08/2010
    WWW 01/01/2011

etc...

For each product I want to create a query that will return the average time between transactions...

In this case, for item number XYZ there are three transactions. The interval between sales are: 1 day (difference between 02/02/2011 and 01/02/2011) and 3 days (difference between 05/02/2011 and 02/02/2011). The average in this case would be 2 days (3+1/2) for item XYZ.

I also need to calculate the standard deviation of the intervals between sales.

I think that this is done in two steps.
    -1) Find a way to add a new column that will contain the difference between a given row and the row preceding it (maybe using some sort of inner join with a sequence?)
    - 2) Once that column is created, use a simple group by to calculate avg and stdev

I haven't been able to do this, anyone has ideas?

Thanks!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    This query will create a field that returns the previous date for each record. Then you can use it as the source for a query that calculates the difference of the two fields and then the statistical calcs.

SELECT ID, Item_Number, Transaction_Dates, (SELECT TOP 1 Dupe.Transaction_Dates FROM Table1 As Dupe WHERE Dupe.Item_Number=Table1.Item_Number AND Dupe.Transaction_Dates < Table1.Transaction_Dates ORDER BY Item_Number, Transaction_Dates) AS PriorValue FROM Table1;
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

crozfader is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Thank you very much for your help!

Your solution makes perfect sense, but I'm having an error when I execute the following query:

SELECT Item_Number, product, Trans_Date, (SELECT TOP 1 Dupe.Trans_Date FROM item_transactions As Dupe where Dupe.Item_Number=table1.Item_Number AND Dupe.Trans_Date < table1.Trans_Date ORDER by Item_Number, Trans_Date) AS PriorValue FROM item_transactions as table1;

I get a "At most one record can be returned from this subquery" if I use the alias table1 in the where statement (table1.item_number etc.). If I remove the table1 alias i.e.
    where Dupe.Item_Number=Item_Number AND Dupe.Trans_Date < Trans_Date

then the query executes but priorvalue is simply empty.

Any thoughts?

Thx in advance

June7 is offline VIP
    Go back to my original query example. Every place you see Table1, replace with name of your table. Take out the ID field and include Product.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Tried your suggestion...

doesn't work get that same error message. Any thoughts?

SELECT ITEM_NUMBER, PRODUCT, (SELECT TOP 1 DUPE.TRANS_DATE FROM ITEM_TRANSACTIONS AS DUPE WHERE DUPE.ITEM_NUMBER = ITEM_tRANSACTIONS.ITEM_NUMBER AND DUPE.PRODUCT = ITEM_TRANSACTIONS.PRODUCT AND DUPE.TRANS_DATE < ITEM_TRANSACTIONS.TRANS_dATE ORDER BY ITEM_NUMBER, TRANS_DATE) AS PRIORVALUE
    FROM ITEM_TRANSACTIONS;

June7 is offline VIP
    I did not include Product in the WHERE clause. I said you could remove ID and include Product. This works with the sample data you posted.

SELECT Item_Number, Product, Trans_Date, (SELECT Top 1 Dupe.Trans_Date FROM Item_Transactions As Dupe WHERE Dupe.Item_Number = Item_Transactions.Item_Number AND Dupe.Trans_Date < Item_Transactions.Trans_Date ORDER BY Item_Number, Trans_Date) As PriorValue FROM Item_Transactions;

I get the same error again. The error doesn't pop up immediately, it comes up after a couple of minutes of processing.

I think I know what is happening. The problem is probably that the query returns two records or more for a given line causing the error.

I'm not too familiar with what TOP 1 does, but can it return more than 1 record if it finds more than one match that satisfies all the criteria?

Is there a way to make sure it returns just one record?

Thanks for your help.

June7 is offline VIP
    Yes, it will try to do that. I built the query based on the sample data you provided. If that is not representative of the dataset, then provide for analysis. Attach Access file with just the needed table(s)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.