sai_rlaf is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Writing a forumla for a report

I'm trying to write a formula for a report and here is my issue.

My department has a service level of 4 business hours to process items it receives. Our hours are 8-7. The reporting has the following time columns. Time received, time processed, Total processing time. My problem is if an item is received at 6:30, it will count all the time it sat overnight so all late items will count as late. How do I adjust the time or write a formula so it ignores the overnight hours and gives us a processing time for business hours only?

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    well you need more data. you need the start date and the stop date. (obviously for those completed in the same day they will be the same value.) easiest way is to add those 2 new fields to your table/form.....

once you have these 2 additional points of data - you should have no problem redefining your formula....just calc the time interval of each day separately and then sum.

now if you want to get tricky - they you can dynamically handle it - if you trust the assumption that if the stop time is less than the start time then it is always the next day.......... you can set up an if/then to catch this and add them as differing days and sum.

Hope it helps.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    It sounds to me like he's already storing the date because he's getting a value for the overnight hours. What I would be inclined to do is to say that if the interval is greater than 11 hours (assuming your jobs don't process over the span of several days) then you would subtract 13 hours from the total hours (the hours your business is not in operation)

So if your job started 1/1/2011 at 6:00PM and ended 1/2/2011 at 9:00AM the elapsed time is 15 hours, if you subtract 13 you get your 2 hours of total time worked on the job.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.