Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    malamute20 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    *Edit:

Guys, I'm normally all about learning to fish rather than having one handed to me, but at this point I'd happily take the fish and learn before my next meal.

What I need is code to: When button is pressed, confirm fields contain data. If so (and only if so) send an email with the data from those fields on form, save the record, and close the form.

I realize this is a tall order, and I've been playing with my partially-functional code contained in this thread for some time to get it working. I am finding that I lack the experience to get the bugs worked out. I'm really hoping someone who has the experience will be willing to take me by the hand and shove my face in the solution, so to speak, because I haven't been able to figure it out through methodical trial and error.

Quote Originally Posted by malamute20 View Post
    Hello.

I need to be able to send an email with the most recently updated record every time a form is submitted, and save the record. Then, when the form is opened again, I need it to open a new record with blank fields.

I was using DoCmd.SendObject to email the entire Form, but that sends ALL the records, and I need it to send only the most recent one each time the form is submitted.

I have non-working code that I've been playing with... I will post it here but I think a complete re-write is necessary, and I'm fine with that.

Code:
    Private Sub Submit_Click()

'Mandates data entry
    Dim cCont As Control
        For Each cCont In Me.Controls
            If TypeName(cCont) = "TextBox" Then
                If IsNull(cCont) Then
                    MsgBox "Please provide a description for " & cCont.Name & " field(s)!"
                    Exit Sub
                    End If
                End If
            Next cCont

For Each cCont In Me.Controls
            If TypeName(cCont) = "ComboBox" Then
                If IsNull(cCont) Then
                    MsgBox "Please provide a description for " & cCont.Name & " field(s)!"
                    Exit Sub
                    End If
                End If
            Next cCont

'Traps error when form closed without sending email
      Dim db As DAO.Database   
      Dim rs As DAO.Recordset  
          On Error GoTo ErrorHandler

'Code here is the problem.  Goal is to send email of most recent record, then move to a blank record (so the next time form opens its ready to edit), then save and exit the form.

DoCmd.GoToRecord acDataForm, "Entry Log", acLast
            DoCmd.SendObject acSendModule, , acFormatXLSX, "email.name@company.com", "", "", "Incident Report", "", True
        DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec
        DoCmd.Close acForm, "Entry Log", acSaveYes

ExitHandler:   'Clean up as necessary and exit
      Set rs = Nothing  
      Set db = Nothing  
      Exit Sub
    ErrorHandler:
      Select Case Err  'Specific Case statements for errors we can anticipate, the "Else" catches any others
        Case 2501       'Action OpenReport was cancelled.

DoCmd.Hourglass False
          Resume ExitHandler
        Case Else
          MsgBox Err.Description
          DoCmd.Hourglass False
          Resume ExitHandler
      End Select

End Sub

June7 is online now VIP
    Mal,
    Don't know what else I can offer, except to look at your project if you want to make it available.

I just tested my code at home with Access2010. I put code behind form button click and emailed values from current record. It worked perfect.

I did have to comment out the Attachment line.

I had to add only the Outlook library reference and of course set up Outlook on this machine.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Mal,
    Don't know what else I can offer, except to look at your project if you want to make it available.

I just tested my code at home with Access2010. I put code behind form button click and emailed values from current record. It worked perfect.

I did have to comment out the Attachment line.

I had to add only the Outlook library reference and of course set up Outlook on this machine.
    Hey,

I commented out the attachment line to see if that made a difference, but I'm still getting the same error to pop. Let me see about getting my project uploaded...

**Edit: Looks like the file is too big by half to upload. Is there any way to break it down?
    Last edited by malamute20; 08-10-2011 at 05:02 AM. Reason: attach

June7 is online now VIP
    Did you run Compact & Repair first? Zip it with Windows Compression. A much larger zip file is allowed as attachment. If still exceed 2mb, upload to a fileshare site such as box.net and post link to file.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Ah, here we go.

June7 is online now VIP
    I opened your project and found that the VBA reference for MS Outlook was not set. So I set it and had no problem sending e-mail with your procedure.

Very strange. I had it added, but you're obviously right, because I have it working now. I believe I must have missed saving it, or performed some other process error without realizing it.

Thank you very much. The email works, I still need exit handling to function correctly. Chiefly, I need to save the record and close the form when submit is pressed, and have a new, blank record be available next time the form is opened. Should I create a new ticket or can we continue here?

June7 is online now VIP
    You can set the form's DataEntry property to yes to force the form to always open to new record. Or in a button click to open form have code: DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec

Works! Thank you.

How would I go about making my button close the form?

June7 is online now VIP
    DoCmd.Close acForm, Me.Name

Sorry I thought I replied to this last week, but I've been swamped and haven't come back to this project until now.

This
    Code:
    DoCmd.Close acForm, Me.[Entry Log]
    Is not working. It does not return an error. It just doesn't do what I understand it ought to: that is, close the Form on activation.

I've tried moving the line around in my code, keeping towards the bottom, to see if I can figure anything out, but it doesn't work anywhere I place it, even at the top of the code body.
    Last edited by malamute20; 08-24-2011 at 05:19 AM. Reason: correction

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.