nicknameoscar is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2000

Trouble opening Access file

Hi,

I am connecting two computers via Ethernet port with a 'crossover' wired Ethernet cable. I have set the Sharing properties on computer 'A' such that computer 'B' can see and open the file I am interested in (an Access database) on computer 'A'.

The problem is that computer 'B' will only open the Access database if it is NOT already open on computer 'A'. If I open the database on 'B' first then 'A' can open it fine and both will read and write data from/to the database.

I am drawing a total blank as to what Google search parameters to use. If someone could help me determine what search parameters to use in a Google (or Bing) search that would be lovely. If someone knows the answer directly and wants to help that would be lovely also.

Edit: The database is not split.

Thanks
    Last edited by nicknameoscar; 08-01-2011 at 06:23 AM. Reason: detail left out

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Tools > Options > Advanced > Default Open Mode

set it to shared, not exclusive

Windows XP Access 2000
    I won't have access to the 2 computers in question until tonight. However, on this computer with a copy of that same database and using Access 2007 (the other 2 computers use Access 2000) that setting IS set to 'Shared' .

I know what they say about assuming but I would think that setting should remain viable as the database is copied from one computer to another and using Access 2007 vs. Access 2000.

Anyway, I will check it tonight. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Of course, right after hitting the "Submit Reply" button earlier I had a couple of Google search parameter ideas. I found that I might need to look into other file sharing and file access issues. Not sure what exactly but it gave me motivation to poke around further.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    If you are using two different versions of access and one of them is 2007+ you may have to set up a trust relationship too.

Windows XP Access 2000
    Sorry for being confusing. Both computers in question are running Access 2000. I just do some of the database development on the database in question on two additional computers that are running Access 2007 but those 2 computers are totally separate and not involved with being connected to the first 2 computers.

Windows XP Access 2000
    I solved the problem. I had made the entire C: drive a Shared drive and stuck the database file in the root (I realize this is normally bad practice for the C: drive but these 2 computers are never used for anything else nor are they connected to the Internet. I see now it is bad practice for reasons other than data security).

I moved the database file to the Shared folder and it can be opened from either or both computers in any sequence regardless of if it is already open on the other computer.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.