oljees is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Multiple column select

I have transferred a whole lot of data from spss to access...tables have 400+ columns of data. I get requests to select data out of this, sometimes 200-300 columns a time. Is there a way of inserting a list into the select statement, example SELECT (filename) FROM table;

In this case, filename is a comma separated list of variables in the table specified in the FROM part?

any help appreciated!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Please clarify. Access table has a limit of 256 fields. How can you have 400+ columns? You can select all fields using wildcard.

SELECT * FROM tablename;

Are you executing this SELECT in VBA procedure? What do you mean by 'list of variables in the table specified in the FROM part'?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    As june pointed out Access limits tables to 255 fields so what I'm assuming is that you want a method to extract information from a text file for further examination. I'm enclosing an example that will extract information from specific fields in a large text file. The only thing I don't know is whether it will support arrays of 400+, that's for you to test.

The labor intensive part of this is to define a structure for your text files, once that's in place it's really pretty easy to get everything in. If you have multiple possible text file formats you'd have to define each one and also a method to pull them up in your list box. In my example I assume there's only one possible text file type.

There is only one form, on that form you have to select the fields you want to extract (my example is only 8 fields) and a table name you want to create. Click the create table button to actually make the table. Click the import data button to run the conversion on your text file

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.