netchie is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Database Linked Even If I Make Copies

Hi,

Afraid to messed up the original database, I madea copy and that is the one that I am fixing first. The problem is, each time I update the "copy" database, the original updates too.

How can I make them not linked/connected with each other?

Thanks in advance for your help

netchie

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Are there linked tables in your database? That is the only possible way I can conceive that changes made to data in one are made in the other. You're not clear whether the changes are data or design but I have to assume it's data.

There is really no possible way, if you don't have linked tables in your database, that changes to data made in one database happen in the other that I have ever experienced.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Ugh! That's not good

Thanks for your reply though

ketbdnetbp is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003

Netchie -

I would assume, as did @rpeare, from your post that the database is split, a FE and BE. If you just copied the FE, the links to the live tables will remain in tact because the location/address (see: Linked Table Manager) has not changed. Access still thinks the tables are located in the old spot. So any changes you make to the data will show up in the "Live" tables.

What you CAN do is copy both the FE and BE and put them both into a new location (folder). Then, when you open the FE, you need to link the FE to the tables in the BE using the NEW location. (Use: Menu: Tools> Database Utilities> Linked Table Manager) Then, you can make design changes as well as changes to the data (but the data will only change in the BE tables in the new location, not in the "Live" tables).

Once you are finished with the changes to the FE, delete the BE in the NEW location and put the FE back where it was originally located and re-link to the "Live" tables, using the Linked Table Manager.

Hope that helps,

Jim

Windows XP Access 2007
    @ketbdnetbp - thanks for the tip. I followed your steps and saw tons of tables that I need to check the box. It scared me big time because if I messed up the important data, I'm toast! I saved your advice and will follow it when I don't have no other options anymore.

thanks,
    netchie

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.