scubagal is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

User Interface

Hi everyone, happy to find help here with Access. I am a novice with Access and unfortunately was chosen to create a database for people at work. I know how to create tables and queries and enter data into tables. What I need to do is create a nice user interface for others to be able to enter data but not be able to edit or manipulate data. They should be able to hit a drop down arrow and choose from data I have already entered and then fill in an address beside of the data that is there. I hope I am making sense in trying to explain this. Like I said, I am a complete novice at this and any and all help or advice will be appreciated. Please let me know if I need to provide more information. Thanks.

Jonpro03 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    To make it user friendly, I would create a Form. Select the table you'd like the form to display data from. Click Create - Form. I would also add a combo box and select the 3rd option in the wizard. That will make it easier to select/search for records. [EDIT: After re-reading, this may not be what you want] There is also a button wizard which is good for adding Next/Prev/Save/Exit buttons to your form.

Once you are happy with your form, select File - Options. Click Current Database on the left. Change these settings as you see fit. Be sure to select the form that you made in the Display Form: box.

To keep users from making changes, I like to de-select Enable Layout View and Enable Menus. If you would like a little bit more security, you can change the extension from accdb to accdr.

EDIT: I forgot to say that if you would like to have some fields with only a limited amount of entries, open your table in design view. Change the Data Type of that field to Lookup and select 'I will type in the values that I want'. This will give your users a dropdown box with selections instead of a text box.

scubagal is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    In the table I created it has the company name, the tag number for the truck and the size of the tank. I want them to be able to choose their truck which should bring up the other information. They should only be able to enter date, time, initials, and the origin of what they bring in. After saving, the form should be blank for the next driver that comes in. I get about 20 drivers a day. At the end of each day or even month I want to be able to run a report to get all of the data that was entered. Am I even in the right ballpark with Access? Thanks for your response and I welcome any more suggestions or help.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Yes, Access is the tool you want. You're basically creating an inventory system where your drivers are supplying you (bringing things in) do you intend to have outgoing inventory as well? or is this something like refuse collection where you would be the terminal location with nothing going back out?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.