lyborko is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2003

Big file... what's wrong?

Hi,

perhaps it is trivial question.... I have very simple mdb file, only 3 tables.
    One of the fields stores pdf files, the second one pictures. (OLE/object type).

I put about 80 pdf files into database. The total size of these files on hard drive is cca 36 MB. But suddenly my mdb file grew up to 460 MB !!!!

I tried to correct this suspiciously damaged file by repair function burried somewhere in Tools menu. But no success.

Can anybody tell me how to chop this huge heap of nothing into appropriate size?

Thanx a lot

Lyborko

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Storing images in the database will cause significant growth. If Compact&Repair does not reduce size, alternative is to instead store links to the images that are saved outside the db.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    To go with what June7 said, storing ANY files within the database in an Access 2003 database is going to cause major bloating. That is why we do suggest the alternative that has been suggested by June7 - store the documents outside of the database and store a LINK to it and then you can have it open the document when necessary but storing documents inside the database will eat up your available space very quickly.

lyborko is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by boblarson View Post
    To go with what June7 said, storing ANY files within the database in an Access 2003 database is going to cause major bloating. That is why we do suggest the alternative that has been suggested by June7 - store the documents outside of the database and store a LINK to it and then you can have it open the document when necessary but storing documents inside the database will eat up your available space very quickly.
    Thanx a lot, I needed explanation...

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.