Shag84 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Error message when opening form with a button

Hello,

I suddenly developed an error message when I created a master form and placed a button on it to open another form. I used the wizard originally, tried my own vba, tried it with various other forms/reports and I get the same error message:

"The expression On Click you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: A problem occurred while MS Access was communicating with the OLE server or ActiveX control".

I have Access 2003 and Access 2010 installed on my computer. Both worked flawlessly until this happened. This is the only thing I did out of the ordinary:
    I had 2003 open, with the troublesome database in question open. I took a break and was crusin the MS Office downloads looking for some ideas on creating some interesting forms. I found one I liked, downloaded it along with the required ActiveX control the download required.

Sine then there are 2 strange things to note: 1) my database gives me the error I noted, and 2) every time I open 2003 or 2010 versions, I get "Windows installer"...."Gathering information" and other dialog boxes. Then they start. This never happened before.

Interesting other notes: I can use either 2003 or 2010 to create a new database, create a simple table, form, and Master Form and the buttons work PERFECTLY!!! And yes I tried using the wizard, and just using my own vba.

It looks to me like I somehow corrupted the one database. I don't want to recreate the whole thing all over again, but I will if I have to.

Also, one corrupted file doesn't explain the strange method Access opens now.
    So, do I scrap everything and take up knitting? Or is there hope?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Don

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Try *importing* everything into a fresh new db and see if the problem follows: http://www.btabdevelopment.com/ts/impnew

Shag84 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Thank you!! I did what you suggested. I imported all but the offending master form and buttons. Works well now.
    Thanks again,
    Don

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Excellent! Glad we could help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.