Hi all,

First time posting, but starting things off with a tough one.

How can we create/modify forms on the fly in an accde?

I have no issue doing this in an accdb (create a form via module code or modify a form on form_load), but obviously this breaks down when you compile to accde since "design" mode is crippled. I'm thinking a workaround is possible...

Background: I want users in a multi-user, enterprise app to be able to view the data (and save those views) any which way they want in Form (Datasheet) view - pretty much the logical equivalent of creating adhoc queries, which is easy, but we have no control over the presentation, security, logic, automation, etc. that we need.

Solutions: (?)
1. One option I've considered to create a "template" form with hundreds of unbound controls, bind the controls on load, and hide whatever's not used (e.g. if the user wants to see 50 fields and the form has 100 unbound controls, I'd bind 50 controls and hide the other 50).
-- A problem I see there is possible bad performance if say the user picks 2 controls and I have to hide 98. I guess I could make several "templates" (10 controls, 25, 50, etc.) but that's getting ugly, especially if I want to go to the max control limit per form of 700-something.

2. Maybe compile all module code to .dll(s) in .Net and deliver the app as an accdb? That way the code is secure and there are no issues creating forms?

3. Are there any ActiveX options to create a customizable grid control that i can just save to a Single View form in the accde?

Thanks for looking!