Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yesideez is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

How to disable this annoying auto arrange?

I've got several forms made up (created using "Create Form") and I can't move the fields around or resize them separately as they all seem to be grouped together.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Select the control(s), right-click and select Layout/Remove.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Yesideez is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Great stuff, thanks!

Windows XP Access 2007
    No problem. I hate that "feature", so it's the first thing I do after using the wizard.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

nicknameoscar is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2000
    1. I take it there is no way to disable that "feature" to begin with (before running a wizard)?
    2. I take it that if you place controls manually that "feature" is not applied?

I ran into this "feature" a year or so ago and gave up after a few minutes of searching (didn't know what in heck to call the "feature") but I don't have access to Access 2007 at the moment. Otherwise I would "play" around with this. Thus the questions. Thanks!

Windows XP Access 2007
    Sorry, missed the last reply. As far as I know there's no way to disable the feature. I'd like to be proven wrong, as I would turn it off. Controls placed manually do not appear to act the same way.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I don't use the form and report wizards for this very reason. I just tested the Layout Remove. Didn't do any good unless I selected ALL of the controls at same time and then did Layout Remove. I prefer to start with blank form and drag/drop controls from the field list.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

hinsonaa is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I'm new to AccessForum and MS New User Interface and I'm trying to modify a Northwind Database form "Charitable Contributions". I've searched the internet looking for clear instructions for what most people (on the internet) are calling "layout remove". Issue: When I move one field the others move with it. The IE and this forum instructions are to Select the controls (I'm guessing field) then Layout/ Remove. Where are the commands Layout and Remove? I Right-Clicked the form; DonationalDetails | Select Layout View | Selected all fields and just the one I want to resize and then checked every tab and group for Layout and Remove. Nowhere to be found! I even checked Lyda.com and Youtube and now I feel like I'm losing my mind. Please advise. Thank you

Windows XP Access 2007
    Post 2 wasn't clear? Right-click over one of the selected controls.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Select all the controls with left click sweep, hover cursor over any control then right click to activate the Shortcut Menu > Layout > Remove.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Paul,

Check the options in A2010 - there is an check box option that says "Allow Layout" or something like that, enabled by default (I too detest the layout bug... err "feature"). I always un-check it as well as the auto-corrupt check boxes. Don't know if it affects the form wizard, but un-checking the option seems to not allow "layouts" in the form.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I just tried it out....

You can find an option to "Enable Layout View" in the "Current Database" settings.

I unchecked it and created a form using the wizard. "Enable Layout View" seems to do two things. It removes the Layout View option from the Ribbon and it does not automatically create that webstyle table thingy that encompasses all of the controls when using the wizard. Hooray on both fronts.

Ironically, the form's properties still have the "Allow Layout" property equal to "Yes". Whatever, I am happy I don't have to keep fumbling over the Layout View button in the Ribbon. Just take me to Design View already!

June7 is offline VIP
    I just did same test, unchecked Enable Layout View, reopened db, created form with wizard, controls are annoyingly grouped in layout, but Layout is no longer available on ribbon.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I had not used the Wizard to create a form in 2010 before. When I read this thread I assumed it would create that annoying "Layout" feature. I have experience with this feature while working in layout view. Like others, I now avoid the layout view. So, I just did another test. This time WITH Enable Layout View ticked Yes in the DB settings. Maybe I am not using the Wizard correctly.....

Created new accdb file. Imported table from another file. Created query so there would only be a handful of controls (unlike my first test). Used the wizard to create a form. I did not see any annoyiing features. Even switching to Layout View I was able to drag controls around, independent from eachother.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Layout1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	14176

June7 is offline VIP
    I simply selected a table in navigation pane then clicked Create > Form on the ribbon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.