Yesideez is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Naming conventions

I've been programming for almost all my life and I've got some deep habits when it comes to programming and as I'm just starting out in Access I'm wanting to get things right now to save me a massive headache later on.

Every language I've used has no spaces in variable names. Al my tables and fields in MySQL all contained no spaces and I had a strict naming convention to help tell things apart. For example, a field in a table which was linked to the primary key in another table always started with an underscore.

How does spaces in field names affect the use of variables when programming and am I best to strip them all out?

for example, in one table I've got field names like "Property ID", "Agent ID", "Post Code", "Gas Checks Required" and so on.

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi

I believe I am correct in saying that Access/VBA can can handle names with spaces like "Property ID" as long as they are enclosed in square brackets "[Property ID]". That said, I always avoid using spaces.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Yesideez is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Thanks

I'd prefer to avoid using spaces as it's more of a "comfortable habit" but the end user of this database has Access experience and I'm not sure how he'll cope if I strip out the spaces.

Remembering back from my dBase days the forms I'm just starting to get my head in I can change the text (variables/fields) to something more meaningful without "breaking" functionality.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Even though it is possible to use spaces in field and object names, it is frowned upon. You will need the square brackets for every use. Better to not use spaces, nor special characters in field and object names. Also, there are some reserved words in Access that can also be an issue.
    Here's a link to reserved words
    http://allenbrowne.com/AppIssueBadWord.html

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.