Lorlai is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2007

General Database Question

I'm working with a database that has a user interface to obtain information. Through the interface, I select what fields I want to have generated in a report. I have no access to the back end of this database, and can't see what's going on besides selecting what fields I want and clicking "Go".

I've been trying to get some large of amount of data. This seems to be too large for the software and it gives me data errors. To go around this, I have been splitting that large report into two; keeping the product number as the main key in both reports. For some reason, One report (with general product information) returns 5x the amount of unique product ids as the report that contains specific product detail.

My question is: how can a database return such drastic numbers with the same primary key? And is there a logical way I might combat this?

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Without having access to the table structure or the code, you can list potential causes for days. Your best bet would be to find the db admin and talk to him/her about the issue. The one who would know best would be the one who created it, or the one left in charge of it if that person is no longer there.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.