joemills62 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Mutli User Access

HI All

I have created a database and split it into front end and back end.

I have copied the front end file onto each pc,

the client uses ms runtime 2010.

All works well, but no one can add or moedify the records.
    if have set in options that no record locks, and shared

any ideas ?

boblarson is offline --------
    Did you make sure that the form's record source is updatable?

Stingaway is offline Efficiency Junkie
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    The deep south. Keep going until you hit water basically.
    Have a similar issue to this one - hoping someone can assist. I have a database that was working great with two people accessing at the same time. Database consists of several ODBC linked SQL server tables and a few internal tables. When more users needed access to the database I decided as a precaution to split the database. Database split, front ends were copied and distributed.

Now when one person is in the database with any version of the front end, said individual can perform all functions to a table (for this is example we are inserting records).

When two individuals attempt to enter the database the table becomes read only and users cannot enter new records.

Client settings are set to default open shared, record locking on edited record. Have checked network permissions, at this time all users accessing the database have full access to the folder.

What am I missing?

Clarification:
    Access 2007/2010 version

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Stingaway; 09-21-2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Clarification - adding version info

Quote Originally Posted by Stingaway View Post
    Have a similar issue to this one - hoping someone can assist. I have a database that was working great with two people accessing at the same time. Database consists of several ODBC linked SQL server tables and a few internal tables. When more users needed access to the database I decided as a precaution to split the database. Database split, front ends were copied and distributed.

Now when one person is in the database with any version of the front end, said individual can perform all functions to a table (for this is example we are inserting records).

When two individuals attempt to enter the database the table becomes read only and users cannot enter new records.

Client settings are set to default open shared, record locking on edited record. Have checked network permissions, at this time all users accessing the database have full access to the folder.

What am I missing?

Clarification:
    Access 2007/2010 version

Thanks in advance
    Are you sure that the folder that the BACKEND is located in has permissions set to Full Control for all users.

Quote Originally Posted by boblarson View Post
    Are you sure that the folder that the BACKEND is located in has permissions set to Full Control for all users.
    Yes, from searching and reading these forums that was one of the first things I looked at. Individually, while each user is the only user in the system, they can add records with no problem. Corporately if one person is in the database, no one can enter records. It seems like it would be someone opening a front end with Not Shared or Shared Exclusive, but i have checked the settings on each FE for that.

So it doesn't matter who opens the database first, the others can't do anything once they are in there?

What do you have set for the database settings of

RecordLocking
    Default Record Locks

(You should be able to find those in the Backstage under FILE > ACCESS OPTIONS > CURRENT DATABASE)

In 2010, if I goto FILE>OPTIONS>CLIENT SETTINGS - under ADVANCED I see "Shared" for Default open mode and "Edited Record" for Default Record Locking.

zakirat is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    The folder which has the back end database file should be shared with read/write permission

I have heard that somewhere before.

Both users have full access to the directory where the back end db is located.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingaway View Post
    It seems like it would be someone opening a front end with Not Shared or Shared Exclusive, but i have checked the settings on each FE for that.
    Have you checked that from their own computer? Has a trusted location been set ON EACH COMPUTER (it is a per computer setting, not per database).

Quote Originally Posted by boblarson View Post
    Have you checked that from their own computer? Has a trusted location been set ON EACH COMPUTER (it is a per computer setting, not per database).
    Yes, thought the same thing. Actually had the network admins verify rights on the network and I went to both machines to try it out. Going to attempt a third separate machine to see if it might be related to just one machine.

Took forever, but I finally got back around to testing it...

This one turned out to be computer based. For some reason it appears to have been just that computer that has issues. I have run the same front end successfully from a separate computer with two people being able to update / add at the same time.

Not all bad though, it introduced me to this community... Glad to see how many Access enthusiasts / freaks are out there.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.